debugger / strace / emacs

Matthias Schmidt

Jun 26, 2015, 3:26:33 AM6/26/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi *,

I've managed to build emacs 24.5 on minix 3.3 with some slight modifications. When i start the program nothing happens. Not even a coredump. Simply nothing. The --version and --help flags churn out there output, but no screen shows up if i start without parameters or files to edit. I've build it with this configure line:

CFLAGS=-O0 ./configure --without-pop --with-x-toolkit=no --without-all --build=x86_64-unknown-netbsd

Besides this i had to apply these patches ( just to get it build for now, not a long-term solution ):

- remove movemail-build from lib-src/Makefile
- null-implement network_interface_list and network_interface_info in src/process.c

Now I'm desperately looking for a debugger plus something like strace. Or is there another way to nail this down I have overlooked?

Or is there a emacs-guru on the list helping me to troubleshoot the lisp part of the show ...?

cheers,

Matthias Schmidt

David van Moolenbroek

Jun 26, 2015, 4:29:41 AM6/26/15
to min...@googlegroups.com, matthias...@gmail.com
Hello,

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 9:26:33 AM UTC+2, Matthias Schmidt wrote:
[..] something like strace.

As of last fall, MINIX3 has a trace(1) system call tracer. It is part of the latest development snapshot:

http://download.minix3.org/iso/snapshot/

I'm afraid I cannot help with your other questions..

Regards,
David

Matthias Schmidt

Jun 26, 2015, 4:53:59 AM6/26/15
to min...@googlegroups.com, matthias...@gmail.com
Hi David,

and thanks for the super-fast reply! Having a systemcall tracer is a good thing, but i doubt that i can narrow down my problem by tracing systemcalls.

Having no userland-debugger makes me really wonder how i am supposed to port or develop applications on minx. And aren't applications the reason for operating systems?

To keep it short: First things first: Debuggers and Editors to get things going.

@all: Are there people working on the llvm debugger for minix?

cheers,

Matthias