Re: [minix3] Can't run minix_R3.2.1-972156d.iso in Virtual Box 4.2.10?

Lionel Sambuc

Mar 26, 2013, 11:41:34 AM3/26/13
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Without more information on the options you used for the VM and the specifics of your host computer, I can't tell if this is a known issue or not.

The following page may help you :
  http://wiki.minix3.org/en/UsersGuide/RunningOnVirtualBox#Workarounds.

Regards,

Lionel

On 26 March 2013 16:09, June Ree <stepbyste...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I created new virtual box for Minix3..and ran it...
then I got error message like this..

Option 1 will be chosen in 0 seconds.
WARNING: couldn't open cd9660 (//cd9660/cd9660.kmod)

WARNING: 1 module failed to load

Then the Virtual Box saying a critical error has occurred...then terminated...
Anybody has same exp?..what could be an issue and how do I fix this?

Thanks,

Anubhav Guleria

Mar 26, 2013, 12:41:16 PM3/26/13
to min...@googlegroups.com
Try

 VBoxSDL --startvm minix --norawr0 --norawr3

Replace minix with the name of your virtual machine.
Problem you are facing maybe because of kvm disabled by your BIOS.

bFree

Jul 4, 2013, 12:28:21 AM7/4/13
to min...@googlegroups.com
@CODENAME FREAK:
Hi.
Thanks for your answer, that helped me a lot since I had the same problem like June Ree.
Do you know what are "norawr0" and "norawr3" doing? I mean, What would happen If I omitted the "norawr3" or "norawr0" option?

Antoine LECA

Jul 4, 2013, 4:09:18 AM7/4/13
to min...@googlegroups.com
I would guess, with this option the emulator does not blindly assume
that ring0 (resp. ring 3) addresses are "unlimited flat linear", and
thus it enables the full segment translation and limit checking of the
protected mode of the x86 processor.

By the way, perhaps 3.2.1 or -current works without those options, now
that we (OK, Ben) gets rid of the segmentation stuff for the most part.

Antoine

zanka000

Jan 21, 2014, 2:27:05 AM1/21/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
 "Try
 VBoxSDL --startvm minix --norawr0 --norawr3

Replace minix with the name of your virtual machine.
Problem you are facing maybe because of kvm disabled by your BIOS. "

How i can do this? Please give me simple answer.

Jesse Chisholm

Mar 9, 2014, 11:34:25 AM3/9/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
I am having this same issue on the following setup:

System: Acer Aspire 5732Z, Pentium Dual Core T4300 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64-bit OS Windows-7 Home Premium
VirtualBox 4.3.8 r92456
MINIX virtual machine set up according to instructions: ( Running on VirtualBox )
MINIX ISO image: minix_R3.2.1-972156d.iso

The workaround suggested in this thread (VBox 3.1 known to fail, use VBox 3.2) doesn't help as I am usign VBox 4.3.

Mark Sinnathamby

Jun 1, 2016, 9:41:54 AM6/1/16
to minix3

Hi,

I ran the "VBoxSDL --startvm minix --norawr0 --norawr3" command but got the following error:

SDL Error: 'DirectInputDevice::SetDataFormat: Invalid parameters'

This was resolved by creating a Windows environment variable named "SDL_VIDEODRIVER" and setting its value to "windib" as described in this article: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11517

Details of my setup environment:
System: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM 2.40 Ghz
RAM: 12GB
Base OS: Windows 10 home edition
Virtual Box Version: Version 5.0.20 r106931
MINIX 3 ISO file: minix_R3.3.0-588a35b.iso

(IMHO, I believe the best approach would be to enable Intel VT-x in the computer BIOS and install MINIX on VirtualBox: http://www.howtogeek.com/213795/how-to-enable-intel-vt-x-in-your-computers-bios-or-uefi-firmware/)

Thanks,
Mark.