[Ask]When will Minix3 Support for frame buffer and x11 on beagle bone?

Jakit

Aug 12, 2016, 5:34:29 AM8/12/16
to minix3
I'm looking forward to minix can run in graphical interface on beagle bone. I think this will make beaglebone a powerful Minix computer!

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Aug 12, 2016, 6:54:48 AM8/12/16
to minix3
MINIX has framebuffer support for the BeagleBoard but I don't know if X11 can run on it.

However MINIX-current is currently broken on ARM . So before thinking about making X11 work on ARM we need to get MINIX to boot again on ARM first.

Merlijn Wajer

Aug 12, 2016, 7:33:57 AM8/12/16
to min...@googlegroups.com
On 12/08/16 12:54, Jean-Baptiste Boric wrote:
> MINIX has framebuffer support for the BeagleBoard but I don't know if X11 can run on it.
>
> However MINIX-current is currently broken on ARM . So before thinking about making X11 work on ARM we need to get MINIX to boot again on ARM first.

As far as I understand, the framebuffer works on the Beagle Board xM,
but not on the Beagle Bone Black/White? [1]

As for the status on ARM, I saw on IRC that the issue was being resolved
by switching to LLVM instead of GCC. If there is a way for me to try the
fix I would be happy to do so.

[1] http://wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=developersguide:minixonarm

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Aug 12, 2016, 11:57:33 AM8/12/16
to minix3
As far as I understand, the framebuffer works on the Beagle Board xM,
but not on the Beagle Bone Black/White? [1]

My bad, I'm far more familiar with my proof-of-concept port of MINIX on the Raspberry Pi than the original ARM port. I tend to merge all the Beagles into one in my head when I talk or think about them.

As for the status on ARM, I saw on IRC that the issue was being resolved
by switching to LLVM instead of GCC. If there is a way for me to try the
fix I would be happy to do so.

I do not use IRC and I do not own any Beagle, so I can't monitor progress on this matter. But as long as a fix isn't committed and the issue in the GitHub bug tracker isn't closed, it's probably not ready yet.