bash appears to be broken in 3.4

halfm...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2016, 7:22:17 PM6/19/16
to minix3
Hi

If I type bash, I get:
cannot set terminal process group(225) inappropriate ioctl for device

bash: no job control in this shell

bash: warning setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot changer locale(en_US.UTF-8): no such file or directory

these messages are after I compiled bash 4.3 from source. I  had similar messages before from the pkgin version

Anything I could try?

Antoine LECA

Jun 20, 2016, 4:38:47 AM6/20/16
to min...@googlegroups.com
On 20/06/2016 01:22, halfm...@gmail.com wrote:
> If I type bash, I get:
> cannot set terminal process group(225) inappropriate ioctl for device
> bash: no job control in this shell

As it says: there is no job control in MINIX (FYI: process groups is the
technical machinery behind job control in POSIX.)
If you need job control in bash, use another OS.

> bash: warning setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot changer locale(en_US.UTF-8): no
> such file or directory

As it says: your locale is not supported. With an unfinished OS like
MINIX3, you'll have best success with perhaps
export LC_ALL=POSIX

> these messages are after I compiled bash 4.3 from source. I had similar
> messages before from the pkgin version

These messages are perfectly expected, they are warning you.

Now, what is broken?

Antoine

Antoine LECA

Jun 20, 2016, 4:38:50 AM6/20/16
to min...@googlegroups.com
On 20/06/2016 01:22, halfm...@gmail.com wrote:
> If I type bash, I get:
> cannot set terminal process group(225) inappropriate ioctl for device
> bash: no job control in this shell

As it says: there is no job control in MINIX (FYI: process groups is the
technical machinery behind job control in POSIX.)
If you need job control in bash, use another OS.

> bash: warning setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot changer locale(en_US.UTF-8): no
> such file or directory

As it says: your locale is not supported. With an unfinished OS like
MINIX3, you'll have best success with perhaps
export LC_ALL=POSIX

> these messages are after I compiled bash 4.3 from source. I had similar
> messages before from the pkgin version

halfm...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2016, 8:00:02 AM6/20/16
to minix3
Hi Antoine

I thought it might just be cosmetic too and I kept using it. I had errors when I tried to use vim from within bash. I can't reproduce them this morning, I will keep trying to figure this out but they were stating something about CM not available or something.

This doesn't help much, I will report back with a proper errror code.

Thanks