Unable to build current Minix from source (minix_R3.3.0-588a35b)

John Deal

Sep 2, 2016, 10:29:37 AM9/2/16
to minix3
When I try to build the current Minix (in Minix) it hangs (loops) calculating dependencies.  I let it run for over 2 hours before killing it.

BTW I did read and run the commands specified in docs/UPDATE (if you don't do this it will die building libc because gencat is missing).

However, I have a Virtualbox VM from ~Nov. 2015 created with the same revision ISO file which builds fine but the docs directory does not have an UPDATE file so the copied minix src for git is different.  Is there a sync issue between the git sources and the image?

Has anyone ran into the problem of dependencies hanging and solve it?

Thanks!

David van Moolenbroek

Sep 2, 2016, 11:20:38 AM9/2/16
to minix3
Hello,

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 4:29:37 PM UTC+2, John Deal wrote:
When I try to build the current Minix (in Minix) it hangs (loops) calculating dependencies.  I let it run for over 2 hours before killing it.

Several people have reported issues with upgrading from the 3.3.0 release to git-current, and with good reason: basically I have not been careful enough and I ended up removing a few bits of legacy functionality too quickly to allow an upgrade in one go. As a result, upgrading from 3.3.0 now works only when going through a number of intermediate commits, and it is not exactly known which intermediate commits those are. Therefore, upgrading all the way from 3.3.0 to current is not recommended. Instead, we recommend installing MINIX 3.4.0rc2 using the ISO available at:

  http://download.minix3.org/iso/snapshot/

Sorry for the trouble.

Regards,
David

John Deal

Sep 2, 2016, 11:49:07 AM9/2/16
to minix3
Thanks for the explanation David.  I will give it a try.

I don't really need or want to upgrade.  I just want the source that matches the image I have.  Is that possible?

Thanks.

David van Moolenbroek

Sep 2, 2016, 11:59:23 AM9/2/16
to minix3
Hi

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 5:49:07 PM UTC+2, John Deal wrote:
I don't really need or want to upgrade.  I just want the source that matches the image I have.  Is that possible?

Hum, maybe I'm confused about what you're trying to accomplish then? You wrote "current Minix" which would be a much newer version than git-588a35b (which is the MINIX3.3.0 release revision). If you want to rebuild MINIX3.3.0 on MINIX3.3.0, you'd have to check out the MINIX3 source code and then reset your local checkout to revision 588a35b, or check out the R3.3.0 tag directly or so. The same can be done with 3.4.0rc2, for which the corresponding git commit number is in the ISO file name. Either way that should always work, so if you then still run into problems, please post more details, for example on how exactly you obtained the source code you are trying to rebuild etc..

Regards,
David