If i wrote a driver program, how can i see it is working?

xsli2

Oct 24, 2015, 3:14:15 PM10/24/15
to minix3
Hi:

I have installed Minix 3.1.0(book version) as guest OS in VirtualBox. My host computer is Mac OS X. I am trying to follow through the text book through self-teaching.

My question is: if a question in the book is to write a driver so and so, and suppose I have written it in a C program inside the Minix itself. Can I just do the following steps to see my driver in working?

- Go to Minix and type: "cd /usr/src"
- To re-compile the kernel type first: "make clean" then "make install"
- After a successful compilation, reboot Minix in order to the modification will take effect. type: "reboot"

I did this part inside the pdf tutorial and it really worked. So happy:

4. Modify and recompile the Minix source code
A basic kernel modification

I know a driver does not belong to kernel. I just want to know more or less the way to see my driver in working.

(the minix 3.1.0 guest OS inside VirtualBox on my hand does not have ip address, so it cannot connect to internet or transfer files between the host computer. I am trying to solve everything inside minix itself).

Thank you very much.

Jonesboro

Jun 29, 2016, 1:04:35 PM6/29/16
to minix3
I suppose the most obvious way to tell is that whatever you wrote the driver for starts working.

Murray Smith

Jun 29, 2016, 3:53:21 PM6/29/16
to min...@googlegroups.com
If you want to see if your driver has started working I would suggest adding code to indicate if it has started correctly (to the console) , as most normal drivers do, OR add to the log files provided by the system.
if you want to check if the driver status I would have a command line argument to check the drivers current status.
Take note of how the drivers in the source go about this.