where is the "www.minix3.org/software" directory?

grizlyk

Aug 29, 2016, 9:01:35 AM8/29/16
to minix3
From "easypack" man page:
EXAMPLES
     easypack gzip-1.2.4 # Fetch gzip-1.2.4 package
DESCRIPTION
     MINIX 3 user programs, such as emacs, kermit, and  telnet  are  organized
     into packages. The complete list is available at
www.minix3.org/software.
     While most packages are included on the downloadable  CD-ROM  image,  the
     larger  ones are not.  Any package can be easily downloaded and installed
     by just giving one simple easypack  command  listing  the  package  names
     taken  from the Website.

I can agree that there is new versions of minix and that parts of them can be obtained via new pakage tools, but why is the new pakage tools required to remove existed links or existed tools? What is the reason to damage old data to install new one?

I think minix3.org maintainers should recover access to annonced in minix 3.1.0 software to the all existed versions of the extra software intended for 3.1.0 before new pakage tools were taken in usage. Is the extra software exist? I think yes because "3.1.0 install disk" contains more software, then src directory does in separated "minix.3.1.0.tgz" pack, for example:
     ackpack
     cvs-1.11.5
     emacs-21.4
     ftpd
     gnu-coreutils-5.2.1
     gzip-1.2.4
     kermit-2.1.1
     lynx2-8-5
     nvi-1.79
     python-1.5.2
If there is no free disk space in minix3.org for the old data, then in modern times there are many web storage (up to 10 Gbytes for any person avalible for network access for free) and they can move the directory to the storage at least to access it with web browser.

Antoine LECA

Aug 29, 2016, 11:21:34 AM8/29/16
to min...@googlegroups.com
[ URL are likely to be cut by mail and groups softwares. ]

There are basically three options:
* Extract them from the SVN repository, the same way it was done ten
years ago (that repository is kept on-line for exactly these kinds of
archaeological reasons);
https://gforge.cs.vu.nl/gf/project/minix/scmsvn/?action=browse&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fbigports%2F
* Using the /usr/install/package-sources/ directory of released CD
(before sources tarballs were discarded because the content grown up to
overfills the content of a single CD, around 3.1.7 IIRC)
* Use the Wayback machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20060627185853/http://www.minix3.org/software/ackpack.tar.bz2
https://web.archive.org/web/20090706093854/http://www.minix3.org/software/ackpack.tar.bz2
https://web.archive.org/web/20060627191309/http://www.minix3.org/software/cvs-1.11.5.tar.bz2
https://web.archive.org/web/20060627191359/http://www.minix3.org/software/emacs-21.4.tar.bz2
https://web.archive.org/web/20090706095959/http://www.minix3.org/software/emacs-21.4.tar.bz2
> ftpd
Sorry? What are you after exactly?

Antoine

grizlyk

Aug 30, 2016, 4:42:39 PM8/30/16
to minix3
понедельник, 29 августа 2016 г., 18:21:34 UTC+3 пользователь AntoineLeca написал:
What are you after exactly?

Sure. Thanks. Wayback machine is working good. One can access http://www.minix3.org/software/ and http://www.minix3.org/packages/ via the wayback machine just now (at least).

PS: by insufficient care the link http://www.minix3.org/packages/ is still not deleted from minix.org

Antoine LECA

Aug 31, 2016, 3:17:59 AM8/31/16
to min...@googlegroups.com
On 30/08/2016 20:42Z, grizlyk wrote:
> PS: by insufficient care the link http://www.minix3.org/packages/ is still
> not deleted from minix.org

Perhaps there were a configuration mistake which was silently corrected
in between, but right now (12 hours later), that later site (minix.org)
is a simple HTTP redirector toward minix3.org; as a result of being
simple and to avoid security holes, only the base URL is redirected, sub
directories are not forwarded; so no link are provided to
http://www.minix3.org/packages/.

Antoine

grizlyk

Aug 31, 2016, 5:25:20 PM8/31/16
to minix3
среда, 31 августа 2016 г., 10:17:59 UTC+3 пользователь AntoineLeca написал:
http://www.minix3.org/packages/

I mean minix3.org of course. And it is curious to me why obsolete "packages" directory is not deleted while the similar "software" one is deleted? Is there care mistake (packages was not deleted by distressing maintain flaw)? But happily easypack users does not known about the "pakages" directory existence and will not get binaries from it anyway.

Also i am not sure the binaries is suitable for 3.1.0 pack and as i see in the SVN repository there is only 8 extra packages listed, but there are more packages on CDROM already.

I got your question about "ftpd", probably you wanted a version number, but there is no version number here, the same as for ackpack and some other tools in command subdir. The "ftpd" is a kind of ftp server from 3.1.0 CDROM and often will be replaced by "more secure" ftpd200 server.

And i still think, that users must be able to use easypack in minix 3.1.0 at least for other directory instead of "/software", just to maintain all published minix versions in working state, not broken.