Can't clone git repositories on git.minix3.org

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Jul 17, 2014, 9:16:42 AM7/17/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to build a 3.3.0 Minix development version, and I'm following Lionel Sambuc's instructions in the "3.3.0 status update" thread :

  1) git clone git://git.minix3.org/minix-lionel.git
  2) cd minix-lionel
  3) git checkout origin/3.3.0[a-z] # The last letter available is the latest revision

Then to generate a disk image bootable in qemu:
  4) sh ./releasetools/x86_hdimage.sh
 - or -
  4) sh ./releasetools/arm_sdimage.sh

You can also generate an install iso with :
  4) sh ./releasetools/x86_hdimage.sh -i

But I can't clone any repository from git.minix3.org (using either Git 2.0.1 on Debian x64 or Git 1.7.7 on Minix 3.2.1) :

# git clone git://git.minix3.org/minix-lionel.git
Cloning into minix-lionel...
fatal: unable to connect to git.minix3.org:
git.minix3.org[0: 130.37.30.248]: errno=connection timed out

Although I can clone the GitHub mirror (https://github.com/minix3/minix) using git:// protocol, and I'm pretty sure my internet connection is working correctly.

Does anyone has the same problem?

Lionel Sambuc

Jul 17, 2014, 10:41:10 AM7/17/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jean-Baptiste,

Maybe can you try to go to the web bridge (http://git.minix3.org) and
see if this works?

I just tried from work, and over cellular from my smartphone, both works
fine. I suspect you have a problem on your end.

Also looking at your log, it seems that the hostname is correctly
resolved, but somehow no packet come back. I can confirm the server is
up & running.

Regards,

Lionel

On 07/17/2014 03:16 PM, Jean-Baptiste Boric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build a 3.3.0 Minix development version, and I'm
> following Lionel Sambuc's instructions in the "3.3.0 status update"
> thread :
>
> 1) git clone git://git.minix3.org/minix-lionel.git
> 2) cd minix-lionel
> 3) git checkout origin/3.3.0[a-z] # The last letter available is
> the latest revision
>
> Then to generate a disk image bootable in qemu:
> 4) sh ./releasetools/x86_hdimage.sh
> - or -
> 4) sh ./releasetools/arm_sdimage.sh
>
> You can also generate an install iso with :
> 4) sh ./releasetools/x86_hdimage.sh -i
>

> But I can't clone any repository from git.minix3.org
> <http://git.minix3.org> (using either Git 2.0.1 on Debian x64 or Git
> 1.7.7 on Minix 3.2.1) :
>
> # git clone git://git.minix3.org/minix-lionel.git
> Cloning into minix-lionel...
> fatal: unable to connect to git.minix3.org:
> git.minix3.org[0: 130.37.30.248]: errno=connection timed out
>
> Although I can clone the GitHub mirror
> (https://github.com/minix3/minix) using git:// protocol, and I'm
> pretty sure my internet connection is working correctly.
>
> Does anyone has the same problem?

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Jul 17, 2014, 11:14:05 AM7/17/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Maybe can you try to go to the web bridge (http://git.minix3.org) and
see if this works?

The web bridge does work for me, but I can't clone a repository with it.

Also looking at your log, it seems that the hostname is correctly
resolved, but somehow no packet come back.

Seems logical with the "connection timed out" errno on my end.

I also tried with the VPN of my university, but no luck either (because it is probably blocked by policy on that one).

Although you gave me an idea : I'll try git clone over cellular if it works, but I'll have to debootstrap my phone first to install Git (can't tether), so it'll take some time before I can report back on this.

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Jul 18, 2014, 11:46:56 AM7/18/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I managed to git clone over cellular and run ./releasetools/x86_hdimage.sh to completion.

However, both the generated hard drive (using the command given at the end of the script) and ISO image failed to boot, with the following error :

MINIX booting
acpi: returning 0x7fff1c0 as vir addr
acpi: returning 0x7ffe040 as vir addr
acpi: Could not read S5 data. Use default SLP_TYPa and SLP_TYPb
APIC disabled, using legacy PIC

MINIX 3.3.0. Copyright 2012, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
MINIX is open source software, see http://www.minix3.org
Initiating legacy i8253 timer
CPU 0 freq 2394 MHz
kernel: selecting intel sysenter ipc style
Started VFS: 9 worker thread(s)
PM: INIT died

This happened on the 3.3.0u branch (commit
e3257d3..) and I'm running Debian testing on x64.

Any suggestions?

Lionel Sambuc

Jul 18, 2014, 12:13:36 PM7/18/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Which version of qemu are you using, on which kind of hardware?

I use the following to install from the iso onto a disk image:
qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm -m 1G -net user -net nic -hda
minix_x86_llvm.img -cdrom minix_x86_llvm.iso -boot d

At the end of the install, I do a poweroff, and then:

On 07/18/2014 05:46 PM, Jean-Baptiste Boric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I managed to git clone over cellular and run
> ./releasetools/x86_hdimage.shto completion.

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Jul 18, 2014, 1:05:45 PM7/18/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm using QEMU version 2.0.0 (Debian 2.0.0+dfsg-6+b1), on a Dell Latitude E6510 (with Intel Core i5 M520), on a Debian testing x86_64.

No amount of fiddling with QEMU options managed to overcome the death of INIT so far.

However, using GDB, I managed to scrap this information from the CD boot (which scrolled out of the screen otherwise) :

WARNING: couldn't open cd9660 (//cd9660/cd9660.kmod)
[...]
WARNING: 1 module failed to load

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Jul 18, 2014, 5:38:30 PM7/18/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As I tried to pinpoint where precisely the boot failed, I added the line #define CONFIG_BOOT_VERBOSE in include/minix/debug.h.

Against all odds, that one line actually made the Live CD bootable on my VM. After performing the installation, the installed system also booted and is perfectly working so far.

Even if this hides the true underlying problem (which will probably bite me back in the future), this might be useful as a stopgap measure to anyone running into the same problem as I did.