QEMU-KVM: pkgin: empty available packages list

UJI_VRIJE

Oct 30, 2012, 7:05:05 PM10/30/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I installed MINIX3 using qemu-kvm (on Ubuntu Precise pangolin).
When i went for "tracking current",

pkgin scmgit-base gave me following message:

pkgin: empty available packages list
nothing to do.

Same happened when I tried to install vim.

Also I could not "ping" google.com. Did I miss something related to network configuration ?

Thanks for any help.

Andreas Bock

Oct 30, 2012, 7:33:19 PM10/30/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

If you are trying to install the scmgit-base package then you have to run

 pkgin install scmgit-base

and not

 pkgin scmgit-base.

Have a look at http://wiki.minix3.org/en/DevelopersGuide/UsingGit.
Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andreas Bock

Tomas Hruby

Oct 31, 2012, 5:08:25 AM10/31/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
Likely. Do you have your kvm instance configured with a network
interface etc.? Did netconf find a network card?

UJI_VRIJE

Oct 31, 2012, 2:39:58 PM10/31/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andreas,

Yes I meant pkgin install xxx.
It gave me the same message.

UJI_VRIJE

Oct 31, 2012, 3:43:59 PM10/31/12
to min...@googlegroups.com

Yes netconf detects some Realtek network card.
But when I reboot the screen hangs. (screen shot attached).

I read something from this post
http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-kvm-on-ubuntu-12.04-lts

to have bridge between my host and virtual machine.

I did following:

I edited my /etc/network/interfaces file as below  (Highlighted code is added)

//start

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_fd 9
        bridge_hello 2
        bridge_maxage 12
        bridge_stp off

// end of file

Then I restarted /etc/init.d/networking service
and got that attached output of ifconfig.
In short, I got br0

My internet worked without interruption, so I though that I had correctly configure the bridge.
But it seems that when I try to connect to internet (for package install etc) from MINIX (through qemu)
I cannot do that.

Please clear these doubts:
1. Which should I run : qemu-system-i386 (because my Ubuntu 12.04 is 32 bit)
  or qemu_system-x86_64  (because my machine is 64 bit)
2. Unlike Virtual-box, I could not select adaptor PCNET-PCI II (am79c970a),
qemu -net nic and -net user should do the work. (am I right or wrong ?)
minix_qemu_kvm_reboot_hang.png
ifconfig_out.txt

Tomas Hruby

Oct 31, 2012, 3:54:24 PM10/31/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:43:59PM -0700, UJI_VRIJE wrote:

> Yes netconf detects some Realtek network card.
> But when I reboot the screen hangs. (screen shot attached).
>
> I read something from this post
> http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-kvm-on-ubuntu-12.04-lts

I think this is normal, not sure whether it is Minix, but I also have
issues rebooting Minix in qemu/kvm. I must turn the machine off nad
start it again. This should not be related to your networking issues.

> to have *bridge* between my host and virtual machine.
>
> I did following:
>
> I edited my /etc/network/interfaces file as below (Highlighted code is
> added)
>
> //start
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> auto br0
> iface br0 inet dhcp
> bridge_ports eth0
> bridge_fd 9
> bridge_hello 2
> bridge_maxage 12
> bridge_stp off
> // end of file
>
> Then I restarted /etc/init.d/networking service
> and got that attached output of ifconfig.
> In short, I got br0
>
> My internet worked without interruption, so I though that I had correctly
> configure the bridge.
> But it seems that when I try to connect to internet (for package install
> etc) from MINIX (through qemu)
> I cannot do that.

Never tried bridging, so I can hardly help you here. I only use the
simplest configuration like

-net user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22 -net nic,model=e1000

try that.

> 2. Unlike Virtual-box, I could not select adaptor PCNET-PCI II (am79c970a),
> qemu -net nic and -net user should do the work. (am I right or wrong ?)

See above, it sets the virtual nic to intel pro/1000

T.

Ajaya Agrawal

Nov 1, 2012, 3:42:27 AM11/1/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
If you are trying to install a package which is already packaged with minix then you need to mount the iso file first. For example if you are using ubuntu then first mount the iso file using umount and then use pkgin_cd inside virtual machine.(works in vmware not  sure if it would work in qemu)

Warm Regards,
 Ajaya Kumar Agrawal

UJI_VRIJE

Nov 1, 2012, 8:12:15 PM11/1/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
I could not get it done after that command line
(Screen shot attached)

Should I go for VMware ?
or should I try to install MINIX on physical hard disk ?
any machine in labs which I can use ? / remote login ?
qemu_minix_setnic_in_options.png

Niek Linnenbank

Nov 2, 2012, 4:03:27 AM11/2/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hey Unmesh,

It looks like your MINIX is trying to start the rtl8139 network driver, but the qemu is emulating the e1000.
Somehow this configuration causes the DHCP client to crash.

Maybe you can try to select the Intel Pro 1000 driver (e1000) in MINIX using the netconf command, and then retry?

Niek

UJI_VRIJE

Nov 6, 2012, 12:45:29 PM11/6/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

The problem is [SOLVED]
I removed virbr0 bridge which Ubuntu 12.04 had pre-configured.

and then used the same command line options:

-net user -net nic,model=e1000 <path_of_MINIX_image>

Reference:
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

Thanks to Niek and Tomas!

[SOLVED]

arsdmthe

Nov 7, 2012, 7:07:24 AM11/7/12
to min...@googlegroups.com
to notice that a 9p enabled kernel is a must with kvm and mounting an iso is very easy with qemu