Change / reverse console background

Garry Ricketson

Dec 7, 2016, 11:54:17 AM12/7/16
to minix3
This may be what seems really basic, and it probably is,
but searches seem to only say about xterm, or others,
 How can I change the backgroung and text, for the "console",
Not, in Xorg, and using xterm, but' the main console,
 I would like to make it a white background , and black text,..
instead of black with white text.

 Thank you, anyone ,...

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Dec 7, 2016, 1:41:32 PM12/7/16
to minix3
Hi,

I am not aware of a simpler way to achieve this, but the MINIX VGA console supports ANSI escape codes. This should do the trick :

echo -e "\e[30;47m\e[2J"

However, any command which outputs ANSI escape codes is likely to revert the console back to the default colors.

Garry Ricketson

Dec 10, 2016, 4:28:20 PM12/10/16
to minix3
Thanks for the reply,
 I tried this, but all it did was change the prompt:
to the same, :

\e[30;47m\e[2J:$
On mine.
 What I am looking for would give the entire screen a white back ground,
with black text, including the prompt.
 Thanks

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 5:54:17 PM UTC+1, Garry Ricketson wrote:
This may be what seems really basic, and it probably is,
but searches seem to only say about xterm, or others,
 How can I change the background and text, for the "console",

Garry Ricketson

Dec 10, 2016, 5:08:26 PM12/10/16
to minix3
Apology, I misunderstood, and was trying the command from
the command line, at the prompt,...I just now added it to
my .profile  file, and it works, now , thanks a whole bunch.
You are right though,

However, any command which outputs ANSI escape codes is likely to revert the console back to the default colors
I wonder how I could make it permenant.
thanks
=======

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Dec 14, 2016, 2:04:56 PM12/14/16
to minix3
However, any command which outputs ANSI escape codes is likely to revert the console back to the default colors
I wonder how I could make it permenant.

I guess you could tweak the shell prompt to echo the first ANSI escape code on each prompt, but that goes beyond my shell-fu knowledge. I do know it's shell-specific, with bash it's the PS1 environment variable for example.