Something doesn't seem to be quite right with my install

tim

Dec 27, 2012, 9:30:44 PM12/27/12
to minitest-rails
I have installed minitest rails like this

group :development, :test do
gem 'minitest-rails'
gem 'minitest-rails-capybara'
gem 'capybara'
gem 'miniskirt'
gem 'jasminerice'
end

My minitest helper looks like this https://gist.github.com/4393956

I am having several odd issues.

When I run rake, rake test or rake minitest the startup seems to take
forever. Then the tests run and then it hangs for some time and then
spits out an error. This is output

huge pause
...... tests run ---

6 tests, 4 assertions, 1 failures, 2 errors, 0 skips
Run options:

# Running tests:

----- Pause here too ----

Finished tests in 0.010323s, 0.0000 tests/s, 0.0000 assertions/s.

0 tests, 0 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors, 0 skips
Errors running minitest:models! #<RuntimeError: Command failed with
status (1): [ruby -I"lib:test" -I"/Users/tim/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p286/
gems/rake-10.0.3/lib" "/Users/tim/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p286/gems/
rake-10.0.3/lib/rake/rake_test_loader.rb" "test/models/**/
*_test.rb" ]>

Also autotest is not working, it doesn't run the tests and doesn't
notice changes.

Guard does notice the changes (I had the fiddle with the config a bit)
but doesn't run them all when you start. When you hit return to run
all the tests it doesn't run any.

Guardfile looks like this. https://gist.github.com/4393980

Any help would be much appreciated.

Adam Stockland

Dec 28, 2012, 7:45:31 PM12/28/12
to minites...@googlegroups.com
One of your model _tests is not working.  Try to comment out tests and re-run to isolate what line(s) is causing this error.  I suspect a syntax error with capybara is doing it.  Are requiring "minitest/autorun", "minitest/rails", and "capybara/rails" at the top of your test_helper.rb file (or minitest_helper.rb)?

Also, minitest-rails-capybara includes minitest-rails and capybara...you can remove the capybara and minitest-rails lines from your gem file.  Dont think this will affect your problem...but, it might.

I found guard to be a pain...I removed it.  I also had config issues with it and just never bothered to go back and try working them out.

Tim Uckun

Dec 28, 2012, 11:33:00 PM12/28/12
to minites...@googlegroups.com

> I found guard to be a pain...I removed it. I also had config issues with it
> and just never bothered to go back and try working them out.

Are you using autotest? That doesn't seem to work that well either.

It's amazing how many of these things don't work out of the box and
how some don't work even if you follow the instructions carefully.

Adam Stockland

Dec 28, 2012, 11:48:42 PM12/28/12
to minites...@googlegroups.com
I'm not using auto test. Minitest, capybara, and factory_girl.

I'm still working out issues myself. Like you said...things that should just work...but don't.

Mike Moore

Dec 29, 2012, 12:31:36 AM12/29/12
On Friday, December 28, 2012, Tim Uckun wrote:
It's amazing how many of these things don't work out of the box and
how some don't work even if you follow the instructions carefully.

Are you available to pair remotely tomorrow? It's either a conflict with another library you've got loaded, or a syntax error on your tests.

Tim Uckun

Dec 29, 2012, 5:41:15 AM12/29/12
to minites...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what time zone you are in but I will be available
tomorrow evening New Zealand Time.

In order to resolve this I have removed capybara, all references to
guard, fsevent and a couple of other gems but the problem persists.

I removed minitest rails and replaced it with just minitest and the
doubling of the tests go away but the pause before launching is still
there (and long) and there is also a pause at the end of running the
tests too.

Tim Uckun

Dec 29, 2012, 5:59:44 AM12/29/12
to minites...@googlegroups.com
Just to do a follow up.

I decided to install rspec and wrote a blank spec for it and it does
not pause after the tests run.

rspec also seems to play nicer with guard and autotest too.

Adam Stockland

Dec 29, 2012, 10:53:40 AM12/29/12
to minites...@googlegroups.com
Tim. Can you post your helper file and the test file that you think is failing?

Adam

Mike Moore

Dec 29, 2012, 3:54:09 PM12/29/12
On Saturday, December 29, 2012, Tim Uckun wrote:
I don't know what time zone you are in but I will be available
tomorrow  evening New Zealand Time.

I'm available any time. Send me an email off the list.

Tim Uckun

Dec 30, 2012, 3:35:43 AM12/30/12
On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Adam Stockland <adamst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim. Can you post your helper file and the test file that you think is
> failing?

None of the tests are failing (I made sure of that). Here is the
output from the run

rake

******* Long pause here while rake fires up. Seems longer than normal
************

Run options: --seed 42187

# Running tests:

..

Finished tests in 0.385496s, 5.1881 tests/s, 46.6931 assertions/s.

2 tests, 18 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors, 0 skips

******** A huge pause here. Like the initial startup ********

Run options:

# Running tests:

Finished tests in 0.003342s, 0.0000 tests/s, 0.0000 assertions/s.

0 tests, 0 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors, 0 skips

***** Another pause here, shorter than the other two but annoyingly long *****

Prompt finally appears.

The second run is not running tests at all which seems weird.

Guillermo Moreno

Aug 4, 2013, 1:15:21 PM8/4/13
to minites...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tim, You look at this example when you to do change Gemfile at the line "group :development, :test do" replace for this "group :development do" you run tests and you had some something like anymore this error, but this it is resolve nothing