Cassidy Tricks - YouTube

Janis Moore

Oct 28, 2010, 2:46:33 PM10/28/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
Hi:

This is the link to YouTube with Cassidy doing her 2 new tricks. There
are 4 videos each of the tricks. When you audition they used to want
to watch at least 3 times in succession so that they know that the
trick is not set up and that if necessary the dog can complete the
process even if not perfect. In otherwords, the dog can think about it
and finish it.

I left the video of Maggie doing agility and included one of Maggie
and Cassidy playing "wait" in the park.

I would appreciate comments, as the photographer I am working with
wants to put this link on her blog page and the media person in Denver
that does dogs also wants the link.

It is simple, just click and watch. There are 10 videos, they are
listed on the side of the page. The "more info" on the bottom has a
paragraph that Pat helped me write about Lakeland's, it will also be
in the magazine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/janismoore1#p/u/0/KlNzWH6lmTY

If it does not work for you, my name on You-Tube videos is janismoore!

Thanks!
Janis

Sara Peterka

Oct 28, 2010, 3:03:14 PM10/28/10
to mim-dog-training-...@googlegroups.com
These are great! Cassidy is cuter than a bugs ear and I believe she will be on national tv at some time. Maggie is cute, too...but the Lakies are extra special to me.

Sara

Ken Korn

Oct 28, 2010, 3:23:32 PM10/28/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
Nice videos! Talking about the tricks just doesn't do them justice.

Ken

Dennis & Lynette

Oct 28, 2010, 6:14:13 PM10/28/10
to mim-dog-training-...@googlegroups.com
Janis,
She is so cute
Lynette

Laurie

Oct 28, 2010, 6:34:34 PM10/28/10
to mim-dog-training-...@googlegroups.com

I love both tricks, she is darling. I especially like when she peeked
out the suitcase.

Laurie

NCL...@aol.com

Oct 28, 2010, 7:28:19 PM10/28/10
to mim-dog-training-...@googlegroups.com
Janis,
I enjoyed seeing your 2 dogs on the youtube. They are both so sweet and what a wonderful job you are doing with them!!! Nancy and Teddy.

In a message dated 10/28/2010 1:46:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time, janis...@gmail.com writes:
http://www.youtube.com/user/janismoore1#p/u/0/KlNzWH6lmTY

bajagirl

Oct 28, 2010, 7:44:56 PM10/28/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
Janis,
Cassidy is just too cute with those tricks! Way to go!
Also, congrats to Sara and to Goodie for the Terrier Group
IV. Her dad, CH. Wardrum Rough Rider, is very proud of her.
Jo-Lynn

LMcCain

Oct 28, 2010, 8:18:37 PM10/28/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
How fun!!! Thanks for sharing, Janis! She is a pretty special little
girl - Nancy and I are very proud of "our" girl! :-)

Lynn

jo

Oct 28, 2010, 9:05:49 PM10/28/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
Great Job goes out to you all!

Geeezzz, I didn't know you could actually train a Terrier to do
something :-) LOL

Jo

LH

Oct 28, 2010, 10:01:53 PM10/28/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
Janis,

Great tricks... Cassidy is so enthusiastic. I really like that the
tricks are precise- she
goes into the suitcase and waits, doesn't come flying back out.
You've done a really nice job
with developing her performance side of life. I look forward to
seeing you and Cassidy develop
your repertoire of tricks.

Jo,

Those are fightin' words... maybe said in jest, but do you know how
often we hear those
same words from non-terrier people, and it is never complimentary!

Lisa

shel

Oct 29, 2010, 12:11:41 AM10/29/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
Janis,

I love the tricks you are doing with Cassidy. She is so adorable.
My husband Jeff loved it too.

Thank you for the inspiration. Jocey taught herself to open and shut
both types of crates with her paw. I had not thought about turning
it into a trick.

-shel

Andrea Mitzen

Oct 29, 2010, 1:17:14 AM10/29/10
to mim-dog-training-...@googlegroups.com
Janis,
Very cool. Kendal was very interested as well she watched with me. The only criticism I could see for the audition purposes - she looked a bit like she was anticipating what she was supposed to do in a couple of the video's with the suitcase. So it made it a bit like the command was following the action rather than command leading the action.  Might just be the way the video came out & it wasn't the case on all, just some.  Just something to think about for audition submission.

Andrea

Janis Moore

Oct 29, 2010, 9:09:10 AM10/29/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
Hey thanks everyone! I really appreciate the comments. Cassidy is so
smart, just like all Terriers. I like to make it fun and consistent
and start out putting words to what they do naturally.

Yup, you can train Terriers, and what makes the tricks so cool is that
Cassidy does it with intent. She wants to complete her "mission."

The suitcase trick is a perfect example, they like to go "in" tunnels,
so why not a suitcase? The crate trick is simply playing tug, using
the command "pull" until they understand what you mean. Do not play
aggressively, play with the intent of teaching. So the tassels, to
Cassidy were a tug toy, she already knew "in”, "wait" and "crate" from
living with Pat. I simply changed the wording once she understood the
concept.

Laurie I would like to take credit for the "peek", but that was
Cassidy adding to the trick, I just put a word to it and a paycheck.
She is learning to be more consistent with the peek; both ways make
for a fun performance. By letting her add to the "act" she feels like
she is part of the pack, of course this is after you have her
attention and having her has a companion is the very first IMPORTANT
step.

Since Terriers are smart enough to take the best way, then once you
start doing tricks that require steps, they make it look easy. Praise
is important and the paycheck is important.

Eventually you start to use other "props" and they start to understand
the "concept." Terriers are actually easier to train then other breeds
because they are so smart. It is us that need to learn from them (:
They are creative because they are survivalists, so if it does not go
exactly right the first time, they figure it out...........makes for a
fun performance when you work in front of a live audience.

Andrea, you were right about the anticipation, you have a good sense.
I did not use wait first and when she sees the suitcase she knows what
I want. She will do this trick from a distance, she even found the
suitcase under an A-frame at agility class when we were taking a break
and practicing doing tricks.

Doing distance work requires a wait, in my living room it was close,
so even with a wait it would look like anticipation.

There will be more tricks down the line. There are tricks that a
Terrier will not see as a natural performance, but a job, and that is
where you really have to be fair, firm and consistent and praise.
Attention to Cassidy is major praise.

Lynn and Nancy, I adore this dog; Lakeland's are such fun, especially
when you learn through MIM how to read behaviors, how to talk to them,
how to gain their respect and attention. Cassidy was started out at a
young age to love to learn. Having her with Pat for a year made such a
difference. I thank both of you and Pat!

Maggie and Cassidy do well together thanks to Pat. They do love their
walks and yes at home there is some competition, but it is healthy and
I keep it under control. Sometimes I train together, sometimes
separate, depends on what I am doing.

I am not perfect by any means; I have two dogs that feel like they are
part of a pack and as their leader they realize I need them to pay
attention to me, as much as they need me for safety, food, comfort,
fun and attention.

Janis

jo

Oct 29, 2010, 9:52:31 AM10/29/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
Nope, not said in jest, said in sarcasm!

Yes I do know how often those words are said by non-terrier people and
it's not
a compliment. I hear it often because I have 2 terriers and I do my
best to prove them wrong, just as Janis and
everyone else on here has done.

I meant no harm and it is not how I feel.

I was saying to Janis that she had done a good job yes you can train
terriers as us terrier people know.

Jo

shel

Oct 29, 2010, 2:04:20 PM10/29/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
It is a BIG misconception that terriers are hard to train. Terriers
are great fun to train. They expect you are fair, consistent, &
serious about your job. I am all those things with my dogs. We
have lots of fun learning together. Terriers ask questions which
make us better trainers. They are every bit as willing to do a
performance as any other dog.

Those kind of comments however slight and in good humor are the norm.
We hear them over and over. When we hear it from people who breed,
own, or live with terriers, it is even more disconcerting. It is not
always in jest. It represents a sentiment I would like to do away
with entirely. One that labels terriers as difficult to train, hyper,
stubborn, argumentative, etc. My dogs are none of those things.
They don't like wishy-washy or unconfident handling. Most dogs do
not.

I looked up a friend's trial results from Pleasanton. Her Lakeland
Kira is not only in the top Lakelands in Conformation this year on Dog
Stats but also got two First place scores in Rally Advanced last week
with a very large entry. This is her first Lakeland. Every single
one of those win, Q's, and legs were accomplished because of the trust
and respect she has in her dog.

For those of you who don't participate, understand that is is really
disconcerting because when you go to a trial, match, or show you hear
all sorts of backhanded compliments regarding a performance you have
worked really hard on. You hear people warning their own growling
dogs about that 'nasty' terrier.
Your jaw drops because your dog is waiting politely and quietly by
your side. Their own dog is not labeled no matter how awful the
behavior of the individual. These are the kind of comments one
would not get if you had what popular opinion dictates as a serious
working or performance type breed.

You also have to be on your best behavior because other dogs are
allowed to get away with all sorts of open aggression. Their dogs get
away with lunging, posturing, barking, jumping. A terrier and owner
would be booted from the grounds. Ask Lisa. She will agree
wholeheartedly.

Jocey was booted out of classes for snarking at an Aussie and it was a
setup. Yet, a Border Collie chased down a small child on a razor
scooter during another class and it took four people to restrain her.
The owner was given a talking to. Now what does that say? If the
tables were turned my dog would be referred to a dog aggression
behaviorist and I would not be allowed to come back ever.

ANY half in jest comment hurts those of us who take the time to
participate in events outside of Conformation with our terriers.
There is nothing wrong with amazement at the work we do. But remember
when people ask us "If that is really a terrier? Or Lakeland". It
sucks.

-shel

I think Cassie is a perfect example. Janis needed a new employee.
She already had a good job description and open position. Janis was
patient and made sure Cassie had the skills and basic training at
Quansa in order to fill that position. It was up to Janis to retain
those basic values and build upon a good foundation. It's the
foundation that most people fail to start correctly from the beginning
when their dogs are brought into their home. I think it is the
expectations that need to change for our terriers in general. I know
they are capable of just about anything I ask them to do.

jo

Oct 29, 2010, 9:32:33 PM10/29/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
Wow,,,,ok, I've taken my spanking and it's done.

I didn't mean anything other than sarcasm because that is exactly the
OPPOSITE of what I believe.

It wasn't said to be mean, to make light of what Janis (and everyone
else) has accomplished with
her Terriers or to insult anyone on this forum.

It appears that I have offended several and for that I apologize.

Jo

shel

Oct 30, 2010, 1:32:29 AM10/30/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
Jo,

I wasn't trying to come down on you in particular. Or give a
lecture. It just that it is so darned important for me and others to
set a good example of just how awesome these little dogs are.

Today at the park my friend Judith was helping me prepare for Sunday's
trials. She worked Jocey both on lead and off to demonstrate a couple
of things I could improve upon in my handling.

If you took my handling skills out of the equation that little dog
would get darn near perfect scores in Obedience.

Jocey was so happy and up and pleased for that attention. She focused
and stayed right along with her. That little dog can teach me a thing
or two about timing. It shows how willing and capable my little
terrier is of working for other people with great enthusiasm. A lot
of dogs would worry in that type of situation. Jocey was so confident
and sure of herself. It made me so proud to watch her. I know
Lisa also hands her dogs off for other people to work. SO it is not
us with a magic wand. It's the dogs who deserve that credit for
trusting and valuing other people and their willingness to play the
games.

Judith mentioned a WFT breeder last weekend at ED who rolled her eyes
because Judith was practicing some obedience exercises with her boy
Thomas before they ran in ED. Judith mimicked the woman with her
Australian accent. I knew exactly who she was talking about. This
woman said, "Obedience and terriers are like oil and water. You are
wasting your time." Then the woman laughs as if she is kidding but
really she is not. Get my point. She was also told her dog would
never get an ED title because he was too trained. She got it in two
days and told everyone he would. Because she trusted that he knew and
understood it was a game.

I would hate to own a Terrier without a job of some type. They would
certainly make up one of their own. Jocey's would be something that
would get her the wrong attention. Devin's would be to dig up enough
dirt to install a swimming pool. When they work they are happy.
They are Oomph dogs. Cassidy has that joy which I adore because the
terriers just have that sparkle. It is lovely. It is just going to
get better for the two of them.

My own dogs can sometimes be a pain in the butt and drive me a little
bonkers at times. Jocey can demand attention verbally and Devin can
be pushy. I don't know any dog of any breed or group that is
perfect.

The dog no matter what type is always the one who deserves kudos for
their willingness to play these games.

I think Janis is definitely on the right track with her two girls.
Both will certainly turn heads and hopefully change some opinions:)

-shel

Shani Atkins

Nov 2, 2010, 1:52:53 PM11/2/10
to mim-dog-training-...@googlegroups.com
Janis,

You've written a lot about Cassidy's tricks, so it was really great to actually have the chance to see her perform them!

Thanks for sharing!

Shani

Janis Moore

Dec 22, 2010, 3:30:45 PM12/22/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar

Last Thursday Cassidy and I were invited to the Celtic Tavern in
downtown Denver for a fund raiser for a local pet rescue group. After
talking with the Manager of the Tavern and the President of the local
group, Cassidy was given permission to be in the Tavern for the party
as an emotional support dog.

It is in a nice area of Denver, the Tavern had one entrance and
Cassidy and I were at the entrance with the official greeters and
handing out the magazine. Cassidy was great! She knew exactly how to
greet each person that entered. So many people stopped to talk about
her and pet her and remark on how well behaved she was.

This was the first time in years I have enjoyed being around a crowd;
no stress of watching “my back”, I was having fun, watching Cassidy
meet and greet, it was great. It was also a very freeing experience
for me to be able to talk about Cassidy and myself and what Cassidy
has provided for me. I also shared Pat and the Circle of Change. I
would look around and there with men in the age group of the military
paying very close attention to what I was saying, a few of them would
be down talking to Cassidy. I could see that they were affected by
her.

The next day we had agility class, since it is Holiday time the
equipment was set up to play games. Out of about 14 contacts,
including the tire, table, 4 tunnels and jumps we had to pick our own
course and run it. We had to start and end at the same place. It was
fun, Maggie took 1st place and Cassidy took 3rd place out of 5
Aussies, 1 Sheltie, a Bouvier , a Bearded Collie and a short haired
Collie. It was great fun.

That afternoon my friend DD groomed Cassidy and Maggie. This is the
third trip for Cassie. DD has remarked in the past how many of the
dogs she grooms are so out of control, etc. etc. She remarked how much
fun it is to groom Cassie and Maggie. Cassidy reads DD’s body
movements and moves with her so easily. DD does a scissor cut on
Cassie to keep the cut looking soft.

Sunday was MIM class, it was fun. Cookie was able to come and gave us
some good hints on agility. We usually take out a couple of jumps and
a tire toward the end of class for the dogs to just have fun. I got
some excellent tips on distance control from Cookie. Also Cookie
participated in assisting with a Wire Petie; plus she worked with
Ardene.

This weekend I taught Cassie how to “find it” after being blindfolded.
She knows how to find a treat under turned over 3 plastic Tupperware
containers, this time I added a blindfold, told her wait, took off the
blindfold and sent her. This was a fun trick with kids; I let them
hide the treat while the dog stands blindfolded. Makes younger kids
laugh. Soon I will teach her to jump inside a small wicker chest I
have, hide, then come out and find it.

Cassidy will now hold just about anything in a sit, down, bow or stand
and bring it to me when I call her. We are now working on “catch it”
with soft toys.

She also will wait from across the training room floor and I can hold
a hoop and she will come running and fly through the hoop.

I continue to express how much Cassidy has added to my life and
Maggie’s; it has been an exceptional experience to say the least.

Janis

Janis Moore

Dec 24, 2010, 3:39:10 PM12/24/10
to Manners In Minutes Dog Training: Using the Q-collar
I got up early to let the girls out, which is part of our schedule. I
left them with dog door open while I did my exercise.

HA! My living room was covered in white snow, I forgot that I left a
roll of paper on the foor. Cassidy was SO proud of herself and sitting
in the middle of the "snow " wagging her tail and Maggie claiming it
was not her idea (:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Janis and The Girls