What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2017-04-03 edition]

remmin...@2xlnetworks.net

Apr 3, 2017, 9:55:04 AM4/3/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a message from reMMinderbot.

Makers! It's time to share... what have you been hacking on or making?

been keeping you busy, either at the space or elsewhere.

reMMinderbot thanks you!

Pete Prodoehl

Apr 3, 2017, 11:49:39 AM4/3/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I finally wrapped up and released my "Adjustable Rectangular Mount"
OpenSCAD code:

http://rasterweb.net/raster/2017/04/01/adjustable-rectangular-mount/

I also got around to digging into FreeCAD a bit. Anyone else using it?

Pete

Jim Rawson

Apr 3, 2017, 12:03:08 PM4/3/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I don't enjoy cutting up LED strips, so I used math to determine the correct size and number of rings in a spiral to CNC a groove for 157 inches of Neopixels.  The formula to solve for length is R * 3.14 * (D+d) /2    R= number of Rings  D = Biggest Ring and d = smallest ring.

Spiral Grab.PNG

felisha

Apr 3, 2017, 9:10:02 PM4/3/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
I made a honing wheel out of MDF so that I can hone my wood chisels, plane, and turning tools. I drew it up for the CNC cut out the rounds, glued them together with CA glue, and mounted them to the grinder shaft. Afterwards I trued up the wheels a bit before loading up some polishing compound and giving it a try. Makes a huge difference to the tools that I've tried so far.

20170403_193223.jpg

rocky_53204

Apr 5, 2017, 2:22:46 PM4/5/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Picked up the Gryphon cnc router yesterday and started the build today.

day 1 - the parts closeup.JPG

felisha

Apr 5, 2017, 2:35:16 PM4/5/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Good luck with it Rocky. If you need any help let me know.

Have fun,

Felisha

rocky_53204

Apr 5, 2017, 5:07:28 PM4/5/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Thanks for the gracious offer! If I hit a snag you're my go-to. Gryphon has a lot of (blocked to non-owners) videos on-line.

Hoping to put a real spindle on this one, however, I think I would need 220 volts.

Don't know if that's a DIY type project. I have a 30 amp circuit for the clothes dryer and I wonder if there is some way to use that.
I have seen some 110 volt spindles advertised on Amazon but have no idea if they are any good.

May have to hire a sparky for that project... or see if my grandson (2nd year electrical apprentice) has learned anything.

rocky_53204

Apr 6, 2017, 3:37:06 PM4/6/17
to milwaukeemakerspace

Constructed a base for the new cnc today.

101_0989.JPG
101_0990.JPG

Custom Processing Unlimited

Apr 6, 2017, 4:27:45 PM4/6/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Making an interesting new display "stand"... no pics yet, still in the design phase at the moment.

- Akai Coit

--

---

rocky_53204

Apr 8, 2017, 4:11:44 PM4/8/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Continue work on the Gryphon cnc... x, y and z axis tested ok!
101_0993.JPG

felisha

Apr 8, 2017, 4:40:09 PM4/8/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Looks great Rocky.

Jim Rawson

Apr 9, 2017, 11:04:44 AM4/9/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
With the guidance of some awesome members, 4 meters of neopixels some math and a few HackRack scores, I completed a neopixel table.  It was designed with Corel Draw, converted to Cam Bam, then CNC'd, painted and driven with Arduino using FastLed.

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 3:40 PM, felisha <fel...@ourdailysalt.com> wrote:
Looks great Rocky.
Table 1.PNG
Wheel.jpg
Wheel2.jpg

ChrisH

Apr 9, 2017, 11:47:12 AM4/9/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Awesome job in the table, Jim. Would you be willing to share your neopixel program?

Jim Rawson

Apr 9, 2017, 12:16:21 PM4/9/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Chris,  Once you load the Fastled.h library, it is in the examples.  Mine is based on the Demo Reel100 sketch.