Looking for engineers who vape

Chad Lawson

Jan 19, 2018, 4:31:19 PM1/19/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
A few years ago I worked for a company that made e-liquid (or whatever term you use) in IT. While I had never been a smoker or that into vaping, the geek in me was really interested in the technology of it.

In order to satiate my curiosity, I've started a series of tech experiments building a mechanical mod and then a VV/VW mod.

The reason I'm writing is this: what's the difference between VV and VW from a tech standpoint. The best way I can think to achieve varying either is with variable resistance. So if that's the case, aren't they just the same thing (V=R*I, P=R*I^2) aside from the degree to which the numbers change? In either case, don't I just adjust resistance?

I feel like I'm missing something simple. And I'm sure I've done a bad job of explaining where I'm at, so this may come across more amateurish than it is.

Steve Gutschow

Jan 19, 2018, 6:56:07 PM1/19/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Very interesting. Please keep posting anything you discover. I think vaping is still way in its infancy.
 Thx

Sent from my iPhone
--

---

Kathryn Hughett

Jan 20, 2018, 7:56:16 AM1/20/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I agree with the infancy comment.  They've just recently realized that it causes popcorn lung.

---

Pete Prodoehl

Jan 20, 2018, 8:16:48 AM1/20/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I’ve never heard of “popcorn lung” so I did some research and came across this:

the_digital_dentist

Jan 20, 2018, 9:44:38 AM1/20/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I've never understood the enthusiasm shown by vapers for "making clouds".  Unknown mixtures of chemicals heated, mixed with the air, and deliberately and habitually inhaled is begging for health problems.

Pete Prodoehl

Jan 20, 2018, 2:47:48 PM1/20/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Drug addiction is a terrible thing...

On Jan 20, 2018, at 8:44 AM, the_digital_dentist <mark.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've never understood the enthusiasm shown by vapers for "making clouds".  Unknown mixtures of chemicals heated, mixed with the air, and deliberately and habitually inhaled is begging for health problems.

Kathy Hughett

Jan 20, 2018, 9:21:52 PM1/20/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pete. The article didn't look like click bait but now I do see more current articles saying that there isn't absolute proof. I just assumed a place like Harvard U wouldn't post bullshit.

On Jan 19, 2018, at 3:31 PM, Chad Lawson <ch...@dreamlandlounge.com> wrote:

[...]

Thank you.

Kathryn Hughett

Milwaukee Makerspace Operations Director

John Neil Thompson

Jan 21, 2018, 1:32:49 PM1/21/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Just for the geek in me, too -- how do these work?  Do the "mechanical" ones work differently than the VV/VW ones?  Also is "mod" just short for "model", or does it have other associations / meanings?

I'm imagining one of those ultrasonic devices you sometimes see in humidifiers?

John NEil

John Neil Thompson

Jan 21, 2018, 1:40:26 PM1/21/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Let's see --  VV = "variable voltage"  /  VW = "variable wattage" (power)

... so does that imply that in a VV 'mod', power stays constant; and in a VW, voltage stays constant?

Are we getting anywhere?  Grasping at straws...

JN

Chris Hemmerly

Jan 22, 2018, 8:43:08 AM1/22/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
'mod' ~= "modification"

Joe Buck

Jan 22, 2018, 11:14:22 AM1/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
...and "Mechanical" is just a mechanical momentary switch that directly connects the batteries to the coils.  There is no electronics involved and so no variability involved with a mechanical "mod".  Mod is short for Modification but it has come to refer to the entire build or the entire apparatus.

With the mechanical mod, when connecting the battery directly to the coil, the variability comes in how you build the coil. - dual coils vs. single coils (even quadruple coils sometimes) multiple coils in series or parallel, the gauge and resistance of the kanthal or nichrome wire heating element, the number of wraps in the coil, etc.

Inline image 1  Inline image 2  Inline image 3  Inline image 8

in fact, coil building has become somewhat of an art.

Inline image 9   Inline image 10  Inline image 11

As you can see, the coil is generally wrapped around a cotton wick that is then saturated with the e-liquid that may or may not contain nicotine.  Among the vapers i know, there are many that use 0 nicotine liquids.

once you've built your coil, you put it on an ohm meter and check the resistance to see what you've built and how close you are to what you calculated and targeted.

Inline image 5

when you dry-fire the coils you'll see them glow like this:
Inline image 6

If they melt themselves and burn out, you've done it wrong. if they don't glow, you've done it wrong.  and if they take a 5 full seconds to get up to temperature you could probably do it better.

and when you fire them with liquid in the wick you get vapor something like this.

Inline image 7

Joe Buck

Jan 22, 2018, 12:41:38 PM1/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
(con't)

....I guess, to continue on that thought, if you have a mechanical device or "mod", the power sent to the coils doesn't change, of course.  With the variable devices,  If you have a variable voltage (VV) device set to, say, 4v and you pop off one set of coils and put on a different coil setup that is half the resistance, your device (mod) will still put out 4v to the new coil(s) and the wattage or power output is effectively doubled.  If you have a variable wattage device (mod)  and you have it set to, say, 30W and you put on a coil setup that is half the resistance, the mod is going to halve the voltage to hold power at 30W.    VV and VW are two different ways of thinking about the same thing.

Joe Buck

Jan 22, 2018, 12:59:45 PM1/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
correction, before it is pointed out  ;-)

>>  if you have a mechanical device or "mod", the VOLTAGE sent to the coils doesn't change (much), of course.

power will depend on the resistance of your coils.

the_digital_dentist

Jan 24, 2018, 7:38:25 AM1/24/18
to milwaukeemakerspace