Wanted: Emply fire extinguisher or similar

mmetcalfpro

Nov 16, 2015, 8:04:33 AM11/16/15
to milwaukeemakerspace
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had an empty fire extinguisher or other smallish steel tank I could take off his or her hands. I am making a small metal melting foundry specifically for melting soda cans as I have access to a lot of them. I have bought a real graphite crucible, but I would like to use a steel cylinder as a junk crucible for the horrible amount of dross soda cans will produce. Then I can use the graphite one for melting ingots and keeping in better shape. Please let me know if you have something like this. Thanks!

Joe Rodriguez

Nov 16, 2015, 8:36:34 AM11/16/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Just throwing this out there, why not just take the cans to the recycling center and buy scrap aluminum extrusions?  We have looked at this time and time again and the cost of fuel to melt the cans for ingots is more than the difference in cost at the scrap yard and less work.

Thanks,
Joe Rodriguez

--

---

Matthew Metcalf

Nov 16, 2015, 9:01:38 AM11/16/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a valid point. However, there are several reasons why I am going this route instead of that. One being that I am a novice at this thing so I am working in my comfort level level starting small and in theory, easy. I have been trained on the  nat gas furnace but it is a bit intimidating for me. I hope to work my way up to that. Other than that, it's more of a curiosity to see if it will work as well as the Internet videos and impressing friends/ family by making something out of trash.