Need a work area table top cut

Thomas Varghese

Jan 17, 2018, 10:55:11 PM1/17/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Hello,

Not sure if this is something that is appropriate to ask, my apologies if this is not ok, just let me know.

I was wondering if somebody would be willing to use the CNC router to cut a 4x8 sheet of a suitable material so that it fits into my basement work area. Goes without saying that I would provide the  material, dimensions and possibly the design in Fusion 360 or similar.

If I had the time, would join the Makerspace and learn how to use it myself, but don't at the moment.

But I would gladly trade some electronics or software work in exchange, reasonably good at both, been at it for a long time and do it professionally.

-Tom

Thomas Varghese

Jan 20, 2018, 6:32:49 AM1/20/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
If there is something specific you are looking for, let me know.  I have several soldering stations, development boards, etc. that I would be happy to exchange for this.

Kathryn Hughett

Jan 20, 2018, 7:52:01 AM1/20/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Tom,
I'm not a member that uses the CNC but I didn't want to see your message unanswered.  Time is money. Money talks. When a project is being cut you are not allowed to walk away from it per Makerspace rules. Depending on how much a person's time is worth to them and how long it would take to cut the wood, I don't think that your trade items are valuable enough. Those are things that I see here all of the time. That's just my opinion on why no one has answered your request so far. I gave not heard it being discussed.

--

---

Thomas Varghese

Jan 21, 2018, 7:33:40 AM1/21/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Hi Kathy,

I assumed, perhaps mistakenly, that offering money would be in poor taste at a minimum and worst case against the MakerSpace rules. Is there a per hour number that would be fair?

I know a couple of people who are members and one of them suggested that there may be people who would do it for fun/thrill of cutting something.  But I didn't think that would be right and wanted to give something in return of some reasonable value.

I have no idea how long it would take to cut/route/shape about 16 linear feet of some material like a 8'x4' laminate counter top or Melamine sheet would take.

-Tom

Harvey Matyas

Jan 21, 2018, 10:38:38 AM1/21/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Hi Tom

A couple of questions for you.
How soon do you need the table done?
What router bits are needed to cut the wood and will you supply them?
If you have the drawings, I maybe able to import to Vcarve Pro and get a time estimate for how long it will take to make all of the cuts.
Currently I am not trained on the 4 by 8 and since the next class is not for a while I'm not sure that I would be able to do it,

I normally have Tuesdays off but am busy on the Jan 23rd.  So if you can answer my questions, I maybe able to help you in the future if the time frame fits.

Harvey

Thomas Varghese

Jan 21, 2018, 7:55:38 PM1/21/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hi Harvey,

No hurry on this at all.

Let me find out what kind of bit I should be using, but no problem getting what is needed.

When might you be trained on the necessary tool?  Again, no hurry, so let me know when you might be able to do this, so I can get the raw materials and such.

Tom

--

---

Harvey Matyas

May 11, 2018, 8:05:31 PM5/11/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Tom

Are you still interested in making a table top?
Last week, I was helping someone from Madison design a fixture for his project.
The CNC machine that I used, failed on the second day he saw me and he needed it done by this Saturday.
So I was forced to learn the 4 by 8 CNC quickly.
As it turns out, I should have done it a lot earlier.
So anyways, if still interested, send me an email.

Harvey

Thomas Varghese

May 11, 2018, 9:28:16 PM5/11/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hi Harvey,

Yes, I’m still interested.  What might you want in exchange?  Whatever it is, let me know.

Tom

---

Jerry HM

May 11, 2018, 10:47:38 PM5/11/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

+1 for Harvey!

May 12, 2018, 10:32:15 AM5/12/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Tom

I'm not sure,  The last person took me out for lunch.  You will need to provide the router bits.
On Tuesdays I'm normally completely free.  So we could meet at the Makerspace and talk about the project.

Harvey

---

---

Thomas Varghese

May 12, 2018, 9:38:51 PM5/12/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Harvey,

Perhaps you can email me at tomv _at_ onyxmicro _dot_ com and we can iron out the details.  Can definitely do more than lunch…

-Tom