How they made the Chicago Bean

Steve Pilon

Jun 19, 2017, 11:12:36 PM6/19/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Pretty fascinating post here!

felisha

Jun 20, 2017, 2:13:02 PM6/20/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Wow!! It's easy to forget that sculptures like this need a huge undertaking of engineering and artistry to pull off.

Thanks for sharing Steve.

Steve Pilon

Jun 20, 2017, 2:57:13 PM6/20/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Im amazed at the thickness of the plates, I thought it was just sheet metal!

Dan Jonke

Jun 20, 2017, 3:42:20 PM6/20/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
I remember reading that the team responsible for fabricating+welding that up won some industry award for their workmanship, but I hadn't seen the construction documented in pictures. The level of craftsmanship is awe inspiring, doubly so that they did everything in 304 stainless, which is a PITA to work compared to mild steel. Great find.

-Dan
--

---

kathy.hughett

Jun 20, 2017, 4:59:21 PM6/20/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
I wonder how much the artist, Anish Kapoor got paid for the time he spent creating this "design" in comparison to how much the engineers and each steel worker got paid for their time. So much of his work could not be realized without the help of multitudes of individuals with skills beyond his level of expertise. Reading this article put me on a Google search for more of the artist's work and I found this oddly amusing article. https://www.dezeen.com/2016/12/30/anish-kapoor-uses-stuart-semple-worlds-pinkest-pink-despite-ban/

whoztommy

Jun 20, 2017, 9:55:35 PM6/20/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Very interesting, who would have guessed that it would take such a robust inner structure. It is interesting seeing what went into the planning and execution of this.