Concrete pouring help?

Pete Prodoehl

Jul 15, 2016, 6:10:52 PM7/15/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I'm wondering if anyone is available tomorrow to help me pour some concrete?

I'd be looking for someone to teach / guide me through the project, and
I'd pay you for your time.

I need to pour a section about 1' x 6' or so.

(See the attached photo, I basically need to extend an existing piece of
concrete another foot.)

If you can help me out, let me know!

Pete

concrete.jpg

Tom Gralewicz

Jul 15, 2016, 7:20:59 PM7/15/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
If its just a sidewalk, pavers might be easier and quicker.

To do it in concrete you need to dig it out larger than the final slab.
Put in forms, usually 2x4' with strong stakes and bracing.
Then mix up 2 cu ft of concrete - assuming a 4" slab.
That's about 3 80 lb bags, mixed one at a time in a wheel burrow.

And figure a full day to dig, mix and pour then finish.
You will need a spare 2x4 as a float to initially level the slab.
A metal finishing trowel to finish it - you need to wait until the concrete partially dries before you finish it.
And an edge trowel to make the edges look nice.

And I've never gotten the timing right so it never ends up looking as nice as the pros.

With pavers  you dig it out, tamp some sand as a base and lay the stones.

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

Pete

Pete Prodoehl

Jul 15, 2016, 7:59:28 PM7/15/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Tom.

Stones were my first thought, but at the edge of the concrete is an uneven edge, only 1.5" deep in some spots, so I'd need to find stones that could fit, or bust up some of the concrete to make them fit right.

The idea of pouring concrete would allow the bottom of the step stringers to sit on concrete, and not stones, which was recommended to me.

But now you've got me scared about doing concrete!

Pete

Tom Gralewicz

Jul 15, 2016, 10:02:36 PM7/15/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Its not something to be scare of, just don't expect perfect results the first time.

The good news, is if its really terrible you can always bust it up and start over.

Tom

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

Jim Rawson

Jul 16, 2016, 1:47:31 AM7/16/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Ray Albarelli

Jul 16, 2016, 2:14:08 AM7/16/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I have some xp with concrete.  Not a lot,  but enough,  and I enjoy doing it.

But my right knee is bothering me some I'm  not the fastest.

I'd be willing to help if you can put up with gimpy.

Ray

concretework3.JPG
concretework1.JPG

Dont let google be evil

Jul 16, 2016, 1:13:21 PM7/16/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
My experience is pretty thin on the topic -pun intended.

The few instructions I have read on bags suggest that 2" is the minimum recommended thickness for product I've used.
There is likely some more digging in your future- probably not too much.
Any time spent considering drainage away from bldg. is good.

Totally put up with gimpy!

ShrimpChips