What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2018-06-18 edition]

remmin...@2xlnetworks.net

Jun 18, 2018, 9:55:05 AM6/18/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a message from reMMinderbot.

Makers! It's time to share... what have you been hacking on or making?

been keeping you busy, either at the space or elsewhere. And, include
a photo if you can!

reMMinderbot thanks you!

Pete Prodoehl

Jun 18, 2018, 10:19:18 AM6/18/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I showed this at the meeting two weeks ago, but here's a wite-up,
photos, and video:

    http://rasterweb.net/raster/2018/06/12/buzz-buzz/

I also attended the first NOMCON (Nation of Makers Conference) and that
was quite interesting.

Pete

the_digital_dentist

Jun 18, 2018, 10:22:07 AM6/18/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I'm almost finished with the Duet controller board install in UMMD.  The printer is back up and running and much quieter than it was before due to the high microstepping from the motor drivers on the Duet.  The touch screen input is pretty nice!

The top front cover of UMMD is a piece of 1/4" abrasion resistant PC that slides into the t-slots in the frame of the printer.  The slots are 8mm wide, so the plate tends to rattle around in there while the printer is running.  I didn't notice it much before because of all the other noise the printer made, but with it being much quieter now, the rattling was more obvious.

I picked up some t-slot material from Harrison metals on Saturday.  Some of the pieces of t-slot had plastic strips that fit into the slots to hold plexiglass windows.  I cut a couple pieces of that stuff and put it into UMMD and now the upper front cover slides in and out easily and no longer rattles.

I ordered and received a knock-off Titan extruder from China.  I decided to try it because the whole thing is made of aluminum, not flexible plastic.  It has some design flaws which I started working on before putting it on the printer for testing.  The most important modification was finished yesterday with help from Tom Klein and Jon Hughett.  I extended the filament guide tube all the way up to the drive gear so the filament won't buckle.

  I'll be mounting it on the printer and testing it tonight.

Pete Prodoehl

Jun 18, 2018, 11:06:51 AM6/18/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

What material is the extended filament guide tube? Is it Aluminum?

(I made my extended tube from PTFE, but I can see the advantage of a metal one...)

Pete

the_digital_dentist

Jun 18, 2018, 12:22:11 PM6/18/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I used aluminum.  I thought about using Teflon, but it has thick walls and drilling out the guide tube in the body of the extruder would have ripped open the side of the hole.

Do you have the same extruder?

Pete Prodoehl

Jun 18, 2018, 12:32:19 PM6/18/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I have a Micro-Swiss hotend.

Here's a photo that shows the plastic lever.

  https://www.instagram.com/p/BhgzQrLgCKz/

I eventually put in an Aluminum lever (with Adrian's help drilling it out!)

The tube fits snug so I didn't glue it in place. Seemed like it might be
good to be removable if needed.

Pete

vanlierm...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2018, 12:57:19 PM6/18/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Upgraded my CoreXY from 12 to 24 Volt. Can't say for the prints are better but the wiring become much nicer to look at

before:

After:

the_digital_dentist

Jun 18, 2018, 1:52:47 PM6/18/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 11:57:19 AM UTC-5, vanlierm...@gmail.com wrote:
Upgraded my CoreXY from 12 to 24 Volt. Can't say for the prints are better but the wiring become much nicer to look at

That's looks a lot better than the rewiring I just did on UMMD!