Suggestions?: Making smoke or fog...

Custom Processing Unlimited

Oct 12, 2017, 12:18:24 AM10/12/17
to membersonly-mil...@googlegroups.com, milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
In need of a way to either make smoke or fog in order to follow the path of air flow for something. Does anyone have any suggestions?

- Akai Coit
Custom Processing Unlimited

Steven Birkholz

Oct 12, 2017, 6:44:17 AM10/12/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Akai,
I am using a terrarium humidifier to test screws for corrosion . It puts out a visible fog. What is application?
Steveb

Eric Berna

Oct 12, 2017, 9:38:40 AM10/12/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
There are smoke test devices like pencils, matches, and candles made for the HVAC industry. With or without fire they produce a small amount of visible smoke that can be followed. These cost about $10 and up.

If you need more volume, then a fog machine might do the trick. Being October, these might be easy to find as Halloween decorations. You’ll probably spend at least $50 for a machine and fog juice. You can also rent these from places that specialize in event production.

If you want keep this low cost you can use regular matches or tobacco. You can get a pack of cigarettes or a cheap cigar for less than the above.

Eric Berna

--

---

Custom Processing Unlimited

Oct 12, 2017, 11:08:45 AM10/12/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Trying to find an air leak in an engine.

- Akai Coit
Custom Processing Unlimited
--

---

Custom Processing Unlimited

Oct 12, 2017, 11:09:56 AM10/12/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
The cheap cigar option was suggested to me. No clue on price, since I don't smoke.

- Akai Coit
Custom Processing Unlimited
Eric Berna

---

John

Oct 12, 2017, 11:23:50 AM10/12/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Just pick up some cheap incense from the dollar store. Works just like the hvac sticks.

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to milwaukeemakers...@googlegroups.com.

Dan Jonke

Oct 12, 2017, 12:08:35 PM10/12/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I'd try a can of starting fluid (basically spray ether). Try little sprays periodically around the engine components. When you get near the leak, it will make the engine rev higher as it gets sucked in.

-Dan
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [MakerSpace] Suggestions?: Making smoke or fog...

Elroy Pearson

Oct 12, 2017, 12:11:35 PM10/12/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Unless it's downstream from a turbo, in which case the pipes will be pressurized and won't pull air in.

Elroy

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Dan Jonke <d...@vfdworld.com> wrote:
I'd try a can of starting fluid (basically spray ether). Try little sprays periodically around the engine components. When you get near the leak, it will make the engine rev higher as it gets sucked in.

-Dan

Steve Pilon

Oct 12, 2017, 1:44:45 PM10/12/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Use a vape pen!
Image result for we get it you vape
Message has been deleted

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Oct 12, 2017, 8:16:01 PM10/12/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
If it's a vacuum leak then Ether (Starting fluid) or good old WD-40 will work to pinpoint the leak, WD being a tad safer.

Bill**2

Richard Bowman

Oct 14, 2017, 1:14:28 PM10/14/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Could you you a vape?

Custom Processing Unlimited

Oct 15, 2017, 2:22:35 AM10/15/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
A vape should work.

---

If "custom" was mass produced... it would just be a "product line."

Akai Coit
Custom Processing Unlimited