Chinese Laser Update

Felisha Wild

Nov 21, 2016, 1:45:36 PM11/21/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
The laser that we purchased is now setup and operational. I needed to do a few modifications and tweaking but this thing is a beast.

This is the machine that we purchased.

https://mine-machinery.en.alibaba.com/product/60522538099-803009994/1390_1300_900_mm_cnc_co2_wood_acrylic_MDF_leather_rubber_cutting_machine_price.html

We have 130 watt laser tube. Some rewiring was necessary and plenty of troubleshooting and the optic path needed to be aligned. The software LaserCAD is pretty easy to navigate and I've been exporting files in DXF and BMP. We do our primary designs/drawings in Corel Draw X7.

The speed and power are amazing and cutting through 3/8 inch plywood was no problem.

The only project I have left is to tie the laser into our shop air supply so that our air compressor can be used rather than the air pump that came with the machine.  Overall I'm pleased with the outcome, power, and speed that this has been operating at. Everything is easy to get to via access panels.

All together the project will run approximately $5000 this is with the machine, electrician visit (we needed to run a 240 volt line), and miscellaneous parts for the air compressor, delivery, etc... There are a lot of items that needed to be done including sorting out the Z axis bed leveling and chain drive, upgrading some wiring for higher amperage wire to 12 gauge. Everything is in metric but the import files don't need to be resized so one less thing to be tweaked.

The laser also is networkable and we can transfer file, manage the laser, and run it all from the computer side. The job screen on the laser also shows a picture of the file and allow the origin to be changed, a box function to show where the item will be cut or engraved, and other easily changed items.

Overall I'm very please so far and look forward to turning out lots of products with it.

If you have any questions let me know. I'll do my best to answer them.

Felisha

nate.m.z...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2016, 4:57:20 PM11/23/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
Wow, that is pretty neat! Thanks for documenting all that for its cool to see and glad its worked out for you.

Pete Prodoehl

Dec 22, 2016, 3:00:53 PM12/22/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hi Felisha,

I do have some questions!

We were approved to get a laser cutter at the museum and what you have looks interesting.

I had spec'd out this similar model: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ESQWB44/

But I'm wondering if we should just duplicate what you've ordered, etc.

Any chance you have more info, or should I stop by the shop tomorrow to discuss?

Thanks!

(And, I need to get things ordered within the next week!)

Pete
--

---

Felisha Wild

Dec 23, 2016, 1:26:39 PM12/23/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
Hi Pete,

I'm at the shop on Friday until about 5 or 6pm and if you can stop by I can show you the machine. One thing I like is that the software that our laser uses (LaserCAD) doesn't need a key to use so we can design on multiple computers.

Other than that the machine you have picked on Amazon looks comparable. With shipping the rotary, delivery, etc... We have about the same into our laser as what's on Amazon. Not sure if you'll have to have a customs broker. Just depends on where it's shipping from.

Or give me a call. 414-671-9453

Thanks,

Felisha

Felisha Wild

Dec 23, 2016, 1:29:33 PM12/23/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
Pete,

I also noticed that the Amazon machine doesn't have a water chiller. It just has a water pump. For the higher watt lasers I think the chiller is the way to go.

Jerry HM

Dec 23, 2016, 3:44:51 PM12/23/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I would agree...

If you have a higher watt laser.. especially if it will see hours of steady use.. a chiller is the way to go.

I am still using a 'water pump' and 5-gallon water bucket with 1-liter bottles (frozen) inside.

but I am a hobby user at best.. (whenever creativity strikes!)  and I usually do not have hours of steady cutting/engraving going on.

@Felisha -

RE: software

can you design in any other graphics program?  (CorelDraw?  Adobe Illustrator, InkScape)..  and then send or import a specific file type to then to be used in your lasers software?

The one good thing I can say about the software that came with my hobby laser (FSL, 5th gen) is that I can use ANY PROGRAM that has a print option and send the content to my laser to be 'engraved/cut'.

I can use Corel Draw, Illustrator, Photoshop,..etc  I have even used MS Word and Notepad before..

thanks!

--

---

Felisha Wild

Dec 24, 2016, 3:52:57 AM12/24/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
The laser uses the LaserCAD to send all of the jobs to the laser. However I use Gimp, Corel Draw, etc... to generate the files and then import them into LaserCAD as DXF or photos.

It is pretty intuitive. Also LaserCAD is all in metric but Corel Draw can export a DXF from my initial drawings in inches to a perfect match in MM to the DXF. Very easy and then I can pickout the colors, and set engraving and cutting intensity and speed settings.