Arduino as keyboard (device driver) questions..

J.Dugan

May 18, 2015, 11:38:01 AM5/18/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Hey gang-

I know some of you have messed with Arduino (variants) as HID's/keyboards before..

This is sort of a follow up question on my original post..

I now have the hardware....  but am questioning the validity of my project now.

I have seen many 'keyboard pranks' posted on the internet,any using Arduinos themselves..

what I cant figure out is the device driver stuff..

I was originally getting prompt after prompt on my little netbook I use to develop on the Arduino (Pro-Mircos by the way.. both +5 & +3.3v versions)

After first it only would be seen as a Leonardo.. when connected and in Device Manager..

I finally got that sorted out and it does in fact show up as a Pro-Micro now when connected..

what I cant figure out is this drive prompt stuff...

why am I getting it over and over and over and over?

and in the end.. when the 'prank' is ready to be retro fitted (hidden) inside the keyboard...

having the install or even be prompted for drivers each time the device is connected will surely give away the joke.

Is this normal behavior?

If so, then how do all these other projects get their prank keyboard working without alerting the end user there is a new keyboard/device connected to the machine?

And what happens if they re-boot?  The device driver prompts start all over again?

I have connected my board, and installed the supplied pro-micro device driver (.inf file).. but yet each time its connected it goes through this process of prompting me to install drivers again....

and does a couple of times.. once for each type of device it is detected as.. (Pro-Micro, Composite device.(or something close)...etc..etc)

when I connected the Pro-Micro.. the sketch executes.. but still is prompting for device drivers to be installed??

I'd like to get some thoughts/feedback from anyone on this.... things to possibly try? (or you have heard to try?)..

I'd like to get a real understanding how this will work before I go mod'ing/cutting traces on the USB Host shield for this project, if in the end.. it wont really be feasible anyways.

Thanks
-Jerry

Pete Prodoehl

May 18, 2015, 2:30:51 PM5/18/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Just a note... when I use an Arduino (or compatible, A-Star, Teensy) as
a USBHID device specified as a keyboard, I only get a "unrecognized
keyboard" prompt once. The first time, and that's it.

On Mac OS X it's the same thing you get when you plug in a brand new
keyboard, and it just tries to get the keyboard layout figured out. On
Windows I don't know what the behavior is, but I'd assume it is similar?

Are you loading new firmware each time, and is that why you are seeing
it more than once?

Pete
> --
>
> ---

Jerry [HM]

May 18, 2015, 9:20:47 PM5/18/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I havent touched any firmware on the chips.. burned no bootloaders...etc

these are exactly as I received them...

I only:

1.) updated to Arduino IDE 1.6.4
2.) installed add-on files for sparkfun +5, +3.3v etc.. for the boards to appear in the IDE
3.) when I connected my Arduino Pro Micro...it prompted for drivers, I pointed to the pro-micro.inf driver files...(I dont do this every time.. just the initial time during set-up)

It seems to be 'recognized' as 3 different things..

Pro-Micro
HID Keyboard
Composite Device

each time its connected...

Pete Prodoehl

May 18, 2015, 9:37:22 PM5/18/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Wait, have you not loaded a sketch yet?

Weird...

I'd suggest not using Windows, but I'm guessing that's not an option. :/

Pete

Jerry [HM]

May 18, 2015, 9:48:40 PM5/18/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Correct.. (as in Windows is my only options).

but, not I have uploaded a sketch... it takes the sketch just fine.

and depending on if its the initial insert of the board or not.. the sketch usually executes fine as well..

I'll test on a fresh Win7 machine... and see what transpires.

I'll be treating it as the 'target' machine.. (as that too will be a Win7 machine).

from what I recall (but I have been all over the place with this process so its a bit fuzzy..hence the controlled test with recording of results statement above)

I'll connect board.. I'll get driver prompt.. if I let it sit long enough.. it'll go away. (not if it finds something to use or fails)
the sketch does not execute.

if I disconnect and re-connect, the sketch executes.. from what I recall there were still driver prompts..

Pete Prodoehl

May 18, 2015, 10:47:15 PM5/18/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Is it too late to switch to a Teensy?

Never had that issue with them... (but then again, I rarely use Windows.)

Pete