Computer trouble/question

Jerry HM

Sep 30, 2017, 11:51:59 AM9/30/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hey gang...

I'm fairly average (haha) at working with computers at this level, and found myself in a bad situation.  (hoping someone will have some suggestions) :)

I have an HP machine.  I had recently formatted it, and reinstalled Windows 7 on it.

It would randomly get a BSOD.. which I thought I had tracked down to some drivers issues.

I downloaded all the default drivers from the HP site...  (NIC, Audio, Video, BIOS..etc)

I ran the BIOS updater/.exe and it hung (for way longer than the 2-3 minutes the window/message said it would be)..

I eventually powered it down.  Upon boot..

( I get nothing)..   what are my options at this point?  (anything?)

Thanks!

-Jerry

Harvey Matyas

Sep 30, 2017, 11:54:22 AM9/30/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Jerry

When you turn it on, do you just get a blank screen?

Harvey

Jerry HM

Sep 30, 2017, 1:42:17 PM9/30/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hi Harvey-

That is correct.  Just a black screen..

I cant seem to do much of anything else.  (everything that I have tried that I read on on-linehas not made much difference)

Any ideas are EXTREMELY appreciated!  LOL

thanks!

--

---

Tom Gralewicz

Sep 30, 2017, 2:54:50 PM9/30/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Does it beep?  If so look up beep codes for your machine.

---

Harvey Matyas

Sep 30, 2017, 3:08:46 PM9/30/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Jerry

Sorry, not much help from me.

Harvey

---

Jerry HM

Sep 30, 2017, 3:09:02 PM9/30/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

There are no POST/BOOT beeps unfortunately..  :(

---

---

Jerry HM

Sep 30, 2017, 3:46:07 PM9/30/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I am running to drop my kids off at soccer! I am NOT ignoring any help!  LOL

I appreciate anything you can suggest!

thanks!

-Jerry

Does it beep?  If so look up beep codes for your machine.

---

---

Steve Pilon

Oct 1, 2017, 12:23:14 AM10/1/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
If there's no beep after POST it could be a bad power supply or motherboard, beep codes could also be disabled and then have a bad video card. Just me $.02 There are alot more knowledgeable people then me though.

Ronald J.

Oct 1, 2017, 12:51:47 AM10/1/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
PSUs usually give some amount of warning before they go, usually voltage droops causing stability problems, because the most common point of failure in consumer PSUs is the caps.

Video card failure usually would still issue a beep code if they are enabled and speaker is functioning. GPU failure beeps, and its own onboard POST might even come onscreen if it's not itself toast.

Being that it hung up on a BIOS patch... The board may be bricked. If the BIOS chip can be removed and replaced, that may save it, but that's not exceptionally common on consumer boards of late.

Bricked BIOS chips are generally speaking, unrecoverable.

On Sep 30, 2017 11:23 PM, "Steve Pilon" <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
If there's no beep after POST it could be a bad power supply or motherboard, beep codes could also be disabled and then have a bad video card. Just me $.02 There are alot more knowledgeable people then me though.
--

---

Jerry HM

Oct 1, 2017, 10:48:03 AM10/1/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Well thats a bummer!  (and I'm disappointed)   :(

I guess I have no recourse here?

Anyone have a decent Win 7 machine for sale?  LOL..

I guess I can try and source a new motherboard?  (But I'm not that great at ensuring its a direct replacement)

At this point/state..

I have created the HP 3-in-1 bootable UDB Diag Tool...

·         however when inserted and I try to boot up.. I get a '3' beep POST error code..  (which states this: )

o   3 short beeps  - Unable to start flashing (such as when missing a utility or BIOS image)  (which is just repeats over and over until I power down)

§  So I'm not 100% clear if something is just missing from my 3-in-1 USB tool? (like something specific for my P6540F model? or what)

I can try to source a new motherboard..     although my only go-to place for this stuff is eBay?   Can anyone maybe help me source one?

HP Pavilion p6540f Desktop PC

I believe it is this motherboard/model:

H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)

chip set: (I believe)

AMD 785G

Link to HP website:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6500-desktop-pc-series/4162263/model/4216279/document/c01925486

I looked for ANY removable chip on the board (I saw none).. to follow up if the chip could be (re)flashed or something... but it looks like they do NOT provide a removable BIOS chip for easy flashing.  (again.. bummer)

So to re-cap:

* possibly missing the correct BIOS/utility from the USB tool

* get a new motherboard replacement

* get a new Win7 machine on the cheap somewhere/how.

If anyone still has an interest in helping!  I guess I'm to open to the above if anyone has anything to offer/suggest.

Thanks for the time guys!

PSUs usually give some amount of warning before they go, usually voltage droops causing stability problems, because the most common point of failure in consumer PSUs is the caps.

---

Ronald J.

Oct 1, 2017, 11:39:22 AM10/1/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
If you're getting a beep code now, that's actually pretty promising.
I have done my due diligence and in the process discovered that this is not just a common problem with this board... But by the sheer volume of bricked boards from BIOS updates across Google's search results for the model number... It's a VERY common problem. Usually don't get results like that unless you searched "ASUS MAXIMUS VII brick" for example.

If you can get the drive out of the system that you had the BIOS image on for the update, throw it on an enclosure and pull it off, put it on the flash drive, try the diagnostic tool again, you might yet save this.
Otherwise, motherboards aren't going to hurt you terribly for a suitable replacement for this system, but if you can find the image file do that first!

---

---

Jerry HM

Oct 1, 2017, 11:56:13 AM10/1/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ronald..

I'm open to try ANY & EVERYTHING at this point..

However I dont think I'm following 100% clearly.

Here want I did:

On the HP P6540F (machine that has bad BIOS flash currently)..  I went to HP site.. downloaded the BIOS update FLASH .exe

and ran it.

it hung.

I had to reboot..  (things are dead as of now.

if I try to boot.. I get nothing but a black/blank screen.

If I try to boot using the 3-in-1 USB Diag tool, from here:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

I download the .zip to new working machine

I extract to folder

I run .exe installer..

Follow directions on screen to create my bootable USB flash drive

When I try to boot the broken machine with this inserted... I get the 3 beep POST error code.

Which (I guess) means this:

o   3 short beeps  - Unable to start flashing (such as when missing a utility or BIOS image)  (which is just repeats over and over until I power down)

Your suggestion (if I'm understanding correctly)..

Take the HD out of the broken machine..

* There was no BIOS image.. (just the .exe file)

which was down loaded form here:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p6500-desktop-pc-series/4162263/model/4216279  (under the BIOS section)

I 'sorta' understand what you are saying..  but I dont understand how to get a BIOS image form this .exe from HP.. to eventually put on the USB drive?

How can I find/get the correct BIOS image for my model (HP P6540F)?

(I'm in a place now where I am not very comfortable/sure about getting the correct BIOS image.

Mother board info:

HP Pavilion p6540f Desktop PC

I believe it is this motherboard/model:

H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)

chip set: (I believe)

AMD 785G

Can you help me track something down perhaps? or suggest on where to get this?

Jerry HM

Oct 1, 2017, 12:25:54 PM10/1/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

To follow up on this a little more..

When reading/watching other tutorials..  MOST OTHER bios files, when you execute them.. give you an option of creating a bootable USB drive..

mine does NOT.. it just attempts to install/update the BIOS directly..

I have even tried to extract the .exe.. but the stuff I got didnt make much sense to me.. (I didnt see any bin file or anything)

Harvey Matyas

Oct 3, 2017, 4:12:56 PM10/3/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
If you want, I have a Dell Vosxro 230 you can have if you want it.  It only has 200 gig hard drive and nothing else.

---

---

---