Cool Makerspace Tour

felisha

Jun 12, 2017, 1:45:19 PM6/12/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Adam Savage took a tour through a makerspace, Artisan's Asylum. Reminds me of the Milwaukee Makerspace. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IXD_d8OcF0

Bob Trocke

Jun 12, 2017, 6:58:04 PM6/12/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
There were so many things I liked in that video. Thanks for sharing Felisha. This is the first makerspace ever to make me a little jealous (but not super jealous).

Did he say one million dollars a year budget!? We must be close to that...

--

---

Tom Gralewicz

Jun 12, 2017, 6:59:56 PM6/12/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Actually we are closer to 1/10 that.

Space in Milwaukee is a lot cheaper than most of the rest of the country.

Tom

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Bob Trocke <bob.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
There were so many things I liked in that video. Thanks for sharing Felisha. This is the first makerspace ever to make me a little jealous (but not super jealous).

Did he say one million dollars a year budget!? We must be close to that...
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017, 12:45 felisha <fel...@ourdailysalt.com> wrote:
Adam Savage took a tour through a makerspace, Artisan's Asylum. Reminds me of the Milwaukee Makerspace. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IXD_d8OcF0

--

---

---

Dan Jonke

Jun 12, 2017, 10:31:45 PM6/12/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Per our 2016 Form 990:

Total Year Revenue: $126,901
Total Year Expenses: $143,786

Before you go panicking, there was a one time ~$40,000 down payment on the building purchase last year, we're currently in the black.

-Dan
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to milwaukeemakers...@googlegroups.com.

kathy.hughett

Jun 13, 2017, 12:07:55 AM6/13/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Nice place. Considering what we have here for the price we are doing really good ourselves.

ChrisH

Jun 13, 2017, 9:05:33 AM6/13/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Favorite quote from that video: "You can only grind away so much shame."

Pete Prodoehl

Jun 13, 2017, 11:55:20 AM6/13/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, Artisan's Asylum is definitely not your typical makerspace.

That said, I would encourage *all* of our members to visit other spaces when you travel. Tour other spaces, take some photos, talk to some people... You'll find out we are very similar in some ways and very different in other ways. :)

Pete

kathy.hughett

Jun 13, 2017, 3:21:04 PM6/13/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
These are the things that stood out for me:
  • I LOVE the map they have on the whiteboard.
  • I want to know how long they cleaned before the camera crew came in.
  • I like the idea of FREE night where the public can come in and learn to do simple things like soldering.
  • I guess that hoarding is just a thing with makers. Intelligent people see the potential for something that the average Joe would just toss.
  • I LOVED the anvil in the Jewelers area that was made from a railroad tie.
  • I don't know if it was the cameras or if there was extra lighting for the video but this place seems a lot brighter than ours.
  • I think we need plastic nails. Maybe we don't but I like the idea of them.

Steve Pilon

Jun 13, 2017, 4:29:46 PM6/13/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
In all due respect, they have some nice things but screw them!!!

Its minimum monthly fee of $75 for ONLY weekends, for access like we all enjoy at Milwaukee Makerspace its $175 per month!!!!!

There is a hourly fee for EACH machine also! $45 for cnc plasma etc etc The laser is "$2.50/5 min usage fee billed in 5 minute increments. An invoice will be emailed to you."

Pete Prodoehl

Jun 13, 2017, 4:40:50 PM6/13/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Why not look at how they are doing it and respect that there can be different models? This is right outside of Boston, we are in Milwaukee, they are different. They also have staff and cater quite a bit to startups and professionals... people running businesses.

Maybe it makes sense to charge for laser cutting and other machine time when people are making money with the things they make... and yes, they also have staff who take care of the place.

I know guy with workspace there who has pretty much all the machines he needs in his own space there. If he needs something he doesn't have, he can access it quickly for a reasonable fee.

Diff'rent strokes, man...

Pete

Steve Pilon

Jun 13, 2017, 4:41:52 PM6/13/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
It also costs $375 to get signed off on any of the complex tools.

Felisha Wild

Jun 13, 2017, 5:05:00 PM6/13/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Given the relative abuse some of the tooling can receive perhaps it's a prudent thing to do. I'm with Pete, that it's always good to look at what else is out there and take what works and leave the rest.

I believe that the Milwaukee Makerspace is a gem filled with amazing people. Our low cost of entry makes things more accessible. That's a positive difference to take away from this.

Felisha

Chef Felisha Wild
Our Daily Salt, LLC
3519 West National Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53215
Wednesday - Saturday 10am - 6pm / Sunday 10am - 5pm
http://OurDailySalt.com
https://www.facebook.com/OurDailySalt
1-414-671-9453