question for the laser/wood works..

Jerry [HM]

Apr 23, 2014, 7:30:04 PM4/23/14
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Shane/Pete... or anybody who has experience/input..

I cut out some panels from the 3mm baltic birch sheets we order...  (which reminds me.. anyone ordering soon?)  =).......
to make a lamp/box structure. I have my tightbond glue...

my question is, do you stain before or after the gluing/assembly?

I started to think the stain might hinder the bond the glue will make?

also is there trick (a jig or set-up of some kind) to help with the gluing part? something I run a few beads down the edge.. and the [device/holder of some kind] holds the pieces at 90 degrees?

I tried to find the old thread where (I thought) Shane had mentioned he just holds it by hand for a few and it dries quickly?  If thats true.. works for me!)  LOL

running to the store to get some stain in a few.

thanks!

-Jerry

Shane T.

Apr 23, 2014, 10:42:57 PM4/23/14
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I stain before assembly because it's just easier that way.  Haven't had a box break yet.

I will say that professionals usually stain AFTER assembly because the stain can make the wood swell and if your joints are tight enough, it won't fit together properly.  I have not had this problem, either with my Baltic birch boxes or my 1/4" cherry one.

My boxes are tiny and light, so I hold them by hand for a minute or two.  I also have some tiny, $6 clamps I got from Home Depot that I use for larger boxes.  If you clamp, make sure that the top piece is in place to keep things from warping.  Also, don't clamp too tight, for the very same reason.