Mechanic question about cars, looking to figure out a problem...

Custom Processing Unlimited

Oct 2, 2017, 12:21:25 PM10/2/17
to membersonly-mil...@googlegroups.com, milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Simply put, is it possible for lug nuts to vibrate themselves off of a car over time... say, like 30 to 60 days...? Trying to figure out plausibility of something other than the mechanic not properly installing them. Any ideas?

- Akai Coit
Custom Processing Unlimited

Elroy Pearson

Oct 2, 2017, 12:37:58 PM10/2/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
When lug nuts are installed, they need to be tightened to a specific torque. If they aren't tight enough, then they may not generate enough friction to stay put and can loosen over time. It is highly recommended that, even after tightening lug nuts to the correct torque, that the lug nuts be properly torqued again after driving for a few miles. This helps overcome a potential problem in which the wheel may not have seated completely flush to the hub during tightening, but then the subsequent vibrations and heating caused from driving cause the wheel to slip toward being flush, but relieves pressure on the lug nuts letting them start to work loose. So, when you have tire work done on your vehicle, always make sure the mechanic torques the wheels on properly and then have them retorqued after driving for a few miles (could even be 20 miles).

Elroy

--

---

Custom Processing Unlimited

Oct 2, 2017, 12:50:01 PM10/2/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
That's an interesting bit of information there. Thank you for that.

---

If "custom" was mass produced... it would just be a "product line."

Akai Coit
Custom Processing Unlimited
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to milwaukeemakerspace+unsubscribe...@googlegroups.com.

Steven Birkholz

Oct 2, 2017, 6:14:38 PM10/2/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Had it happen twice after tires rotated on my Volvo. Thourough mechanic I've known for years. I just got in the habit of tightening lug nuts after I'd been driving several miles after rotation.

Custom Processing Unlimited

Oct 2, 2017, 6:19:42 PM10/2/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Good to know. Thank you.