Iconic Makerfaire 2015 Sculpture - The plan...

Tom Gralewicz

Jun 25, 2015, 11:42:19 AM6/25/15
to milwaukeemakerspace
I will be building the 2015 Iconic Makerfaire sculpture to be set up in front of the Expo center.

It will be a Digital Clock 8' tall and 12' wide.
It will display numbers with the 7 segment display system but use purely mechanical means to change the time by rotating large cubes.

My plan is to tap various members for their special skills for contributions that shouldn't take more than a few hours.  One of those projects will be to make a plaque at the end that lists everyone who worked on it.

Rather than try to describe it, I would like to find the first contributor.  They need to help me make a 3D model of the clock ideally animated.  It will be much easier to describe to contributors and sponsors that way.  Don't be afraid, each digit is two 3'x3'x3' cubes and three 3'x3'x6" boxes.   All the digits boxes will rotate around a single central axis.

Anyone up for a little 3D modeling and animation?

Budget:
The total costs for materials is going to be less than $3000.  The hope is in-kind donations will cover more than 1/2 that cost, that's why I'm looking for the Animations so I can show them to potential sponsors and get donations.
So I need the animations in the next week or so, anyone interested?  Have a little time on y our hands?

I am creating a Wiki page under projects to keep track of who does what and what needs to be done.

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

Falcon Strickland

Jun 25, 2015, 11:47:50 AM6/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I would like a whack at it. Do you want it to be modeled with the animation being the important bit or how functionally it is

--

---

Tom Gralewicz

Jun 25, 2015, 11:54:20 AM6/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I won't be using the CAD to build it, so its all about the animation.  Will y ou be at the space tonight?

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

Falcon Strickland

Jun 25, 2015, 12:32:03 PM6/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Yes I plan to come by tonight

David Buggs

Jun 25, 2015, 12:33:11 PM6/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Did you consider a Florescent light segmented clock using an Arduino, a shield, and some relays?

Buggs

Falcon Strickland

Jun 25, 2015, 12:38:59 PM6/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

When will you be there? I won't be the too long as I work tonight

Shane T.

Tom Gralewicz

Jun 25, 2015, 4:09:54 PM6/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
David,
Lots of good ideas, but what I wanted was a bit of an oxymoron.  Something that is usually digital and electronics done purely mechanically.

If someone wants to build another 7 segment clock in a different way, that would be great!  We could put it in the building, or somewhere else on the grounds.  It could be  a theme :-)

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

Buggs

---

---

Tom Gralewicz

Jun 25, 2015, 4:23:17 PM6/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Falcon and Shane,
I have a board meeting starting at 7pm, can we meet before hand and get you guys started?

I should be at the space by 5:30 but will likely be going out for dinner with whom ever else is there.

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

Falcon Strickland

Jun 25, 2015, 4:33:29 PM6/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Ok I can be there around that time

Dont let google be evil

Jun 26, 2015, 5:36:13 PM6/26/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com, m...@ieee.org
Probably not a helpful suggestion:
Putting different color live flowers into/on your segments might be cool.

StrawberryJam