What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2016-10-17 edition]

remmin...@2xlnetworks.net

Oct 17, 2016, 9:55:08 AM10/17/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a message from reMMinderbot.

Makers! It's time to share... what have you been hacking on or making?

been keeping you busy, either at the space or elsewhere.

reMMinderbot thanks you!

the_digital_dentist

Oct 17, 2016, 10:23:08 AM10/17/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
First post!

I've been working on a Cubex Duo printer I bought via ebay, fixing problems, etc. and am now awaiting delivery of the SmoothieBoard controller I ordered for it.

Son of MegaMax has had some recent changes, hopefully improvements-

1) a new heater block on the extruder that uses a cartridge type thermistor.
2) all new balls in the ball nut on the Y axis - it now runs smoother and doesn't make the grinding noises it was making before.
3) adjusted Y axis motor current to eliminate layer shifting (I hope)
4) replaced the printed X axis belt tensioner with an aluminum piece I made yesterday from 1.5 x 2" aluminum tubing.
5) added a UV lamp to the machine for when it's printing fluorescent filament, and installed a switch to switch from white light to UV.  The switch is inside the drawer with the controller.

memeticmaster

Oct 19, 2016, 5:35:54 PM10/19/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
I am still trying to acquire the plexiglass that I will use to make a caution sign for the welding area. Due to my financial limitations I will have to wait until next month to start on that project. Once I acquire the plexiglass I plan on finishing getting certified on the laser etcher then etching the sign into the plexiglass, and finally adding red/orange leds along the bottom to light up the sign. (Thanks to Akai for the idea of how to do the lighting) Once I finish with my first sign I plan on doing one for my wife's workplace if they like how the caution sign looks. I then plan on etching some of my digital art using multiple panes of plexiglass and multiple different color leds.