What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2016-09-12 edition]

remmin...@2xlnetworks.net

Sep 12, 2016, 9:55:05 AM9/12/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a message from reMMinderbot.

Makers! It's time to share... what have you been hacking on or making?

been keeping you busy, either at the space or elsewhere.

reMMinderbot thanks you!

the_digital_dentist

Sep 12, 2016, 3:18:56 PM9/12/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
I've been putting SoM on a diet.  I pulled the massive transformer that was powering the bed heater and its companion SSR, removed the 12V supply that was powering the smoothieboard and Z axis and extruder motors, removed the two 32V supplies that were powering the X and Y axis DSP drivers, removed the X axis DSP driver and connected the motor directly to the Smoothieboard, and wired in a single 24V 31A power supply to run everything.  I also replaced the hot-end fan and heater cartridges with 24V units.

The fan in the 24V supply is pretty loud, but it isn't too bad with the drawer closed.

I mounted the LCD control panel on top of the 24V supply, still inside the drawer, but much easier to reach and get the SD card in and out.

Initial tests indicate that performance has not suffered.

Next, some mechanical TLC.  Something, I think the ball screw, is making a grinding noise that bugs me.  I'm going to clean out the ball screw and check the Y axis linear guides and lube everything.