What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2017-06-26 edition]

remmin...@2xlnetworks.net

Jun 26, 2017, 9:55:04 AM6/26/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a message from reMMinderbot.

Makers! It's time to share... what have you been hacking on or making?

been keeping you busy, either at the space or elsewhere.

reMMinderbot thanks you!

vanlierm...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2017, 8:15:28 PM6/26/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Upgrading my China knock-off MK8 extruder with genuine E3D titan extruder. (old on the right, new on the left)

Just finished printing the newest brackets and fan duct (magnet clipped).

Print quality could be better but then again, that's why I'm upgrading

Message has been deleted

the_digital_dentist

Jun 26, 2017, 8:36:34 PM6/26/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
I don't think that fan duct is going to work.  Axial fans can't move any air against back pressure and narrowing the duct like that produces a lot of back pressure.  Look into centrifugal blowers- they can move air against some pressure.

vanlierm...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2017, 9:39:34 PM6/26/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
I had a feeling that might be the case. Those fans really have no power to them. How come so many designs on thingiverse (and such) do exactly what I tried doing here?

I did pick up a ffb03812hhn at American Science. Haven't figured out the wiring (yet) but you think it might work?

the_digital_dentist

Jun 26, 2017, 10:05:04 PM6/26/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
I had a feeling that might be the case. Those fans really have no power to them. How come so many designs on thingiverse (and such) do exactly what I tried doing here?

Because people don't think or test their designs before the post them on Thingiverse.  All the fan designs are based on looks because (almost?) no one who posts on Thingiverse knows anything about aerodynamics and the way air flows, and few have access to and skills to operate software that can simulate air flow.

I did pick up a ffb03812hhn at American Science. Haven't figured out the wiring (yet) but you think it might work?

It may work slightly better, but it's still an axial fan.  It will definitely be noisy because those fans tend to spin really fast.

This is the type of thing you want to use- they can blow air against some back pressure, though it's still best to avoid narrowing the duct as much as possible.

maarten van Lier

Jun 26, 2017, 10:13:30 PM6/26/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Thx, back to the drawing board. Really appreciate the feedback

Jim Rawson

Jun 26, 2017, 10:50:06 PM6/26/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
While I was designing the support system for this table, I may have discovered a way to make it completely invisible!

--

---

tABLE.jpg

vanlierm...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2017, 3:44:38 PM6/29/17
to milwaukeemakerspace

Second attempt. This one definitely blow air from the right places.

Here is the actual implementation

The fan can move up/down to adjust for hot-end nozzle

sshid...@tds.net

Jun 29, 2017, 9:59:49 PM6/29/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Currently doing upgrades to my Makerfarm 3d Printer. Finally have a good profile on PETG. Next CNC router build.