To Tom Gralewicz - Inventor of the Telephone

Scott Swanson

Oct 20, 2016, 11:30:33 AM10/20/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Tom:

The inventor of the telephone is a real sore point with me.

An engineer by the name of Elisha Gray at Western Electric invented the idea first and applied for a provisional patent, but Bell (who had viewed Gray's patent application) was able to get the design working first.

Bell had deep pockets and this was able to win in court.

See this link for the gorey details:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisha_Gray

--Scott

Scott Swanson

Oct 20, 2016, 11:37:24 AM10/20/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Tom Gralewicz

Oct 20, 2016, 1:02:20 PM10/20/16
to milwaukeemakerspace

Pretty much my point.  Parents don't hold up against a big pile of cash.

The question I alwsys ask:

Name an inventor who got rich in the last 10 years?

Name the person responsible for a big invention in the last 10 years?

--

---

Pepin Lachance

Oct 20, 2016, 1:05:50 PM10/20/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Mark Zuckerberg

> --
>
> ---

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 20, 2016, 1:09:39 PM10/20/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

What did Mark Zuckerberg invent?

(And don't say "Facebook" because that's just a web site.)

Pete

Adam Cohen

Oct 20, 2016, 1:27:17 PM10/20/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Tom Gralewicz

Oct 20, 2016, 3:17:50 PM10/20/16
to milwaukeemakerspace

Did the patent make him rich or was it the marketing?  Same goes for Jobs, marketing genius but not an engineer.

---

Tom Gralewicz

Oct 20, 2016, 3:21:43 PM10/20/16
to milwaukeemakerspace

Johnson didn't sue over the patent, he died over the contract.  So instead of getting a patient, get a good contracts lawyer.

---

Pepin Lachance

Oct 20, 2016, 4:48:13 PM10/20/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

If a website is innovative I would say as it counts as an invention. I may detest him as a person, but I gotta give him credit.

--

---

Tom Gralewicz

Oct 20, 2016, 6:20:28 PM10/20/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Because he patented "social media" and no one could compete with him?  (Remember, we're talking about patents)

Or because he had a good idea, did a decent implementation, good marketing and was one of the first to the market.

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

Steve Pilon

Oct 20, 2016, 6:54:36 PM10/20/16
to milwaukeemakerspace, m...@ieee.org
How about multiple people on Kickstarter Tom?

No you don't have the money yourself but an extra couple million for your company can certainly get you headed in the right direction!

People have this idea that once you have a patent your done and money is just going to start flowing in, their wrong, they are only JUST beginning a long process with opportunity to wildly succeed, meh, or massively flop.

Dont let google be evil

Oct 21, 2016, 1:52:35 AM10/21/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
Dr. Bruce Saffran ended up losing an appeal at the Supreme Court level over bazillions of dollars regards medicated stents. I think he had already gotten a butt-load from another party in a related case.
Dr. Julio Palmaz invented the original non-medicated stent, and now apparently created the largest wine cave in Napa Valley. Wine cave?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julio_Palmaz

Sara Blakely inventor of Spanx:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sara_Blakely

Stents weren't invented in the last ten years, Spanx is recent -A maybe thing w/ Spanx was that it likely could have been stolen, or "worked around" at a number of points during it's development as a product.

   Arguably, enabling people's butts to defy gravity as a 'big' invention -for an individual inventor- in the last ten years either says something about the last ten years, is kinda punny, or maybe both.

IcedTea

Dont let google be evil

Oct 21, 2016, 2:09:06 AM10/21/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
... to go further, since I like the topic.
  I do get, and agree w/ the premise that spending a bunch of money to file a patent can be a big waste.
  Additionally, there is also a position which claims it can be better to specifically -NOT- file a patent, as a filing informs competitors what your claims are vs. leaving them to sweat what they might be sued for infringing on later.

IcedTea

Steve Pilon

Oct 27, 2016, 2:08:50 PM10/27/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
How about Grypshon Industries? Tom Burden was in the Air Force and realized that fighter jet mechanics had too climb up and down fighter jets while working on them since you cant place tools and part on the skin of a jet. Forgotten tool inside the plane while flying could also be catastrophic. He came to Milwaukee Makerspace and made some prototypes for his tool mat, I helped him out on the old router with prototypes. While I don't think hes rich I do know that his invention is available to the public on Amazon.

Tom Gralewicz

Oct 27, 2016, 3:19:00 PM10/27/16
to milwaukeemakerspace

Does he have a patent on it?

Pete Prodoehl

Oct 27, 2016, 3:36:01 PM10/27/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Wow, very cool! I didn't know we/MMS/you assisted with this. How long
ago was this?

(It would have been nice to have had a blog post about it. We could
still do one.)

Pete

Steve Pilon

Oct 27, 2016, 3:40:55 PM10/27/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
Pete, im not exactually sure, maybe 3 or so years agoish???

Rick Bowman

Nov 5, 2016, 1:27:49 PM11/5/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
@ Tom G. Yes, at the time he was working on it I helped him obtain a provisional patent on it.