East room music computer

Steve Pilon

Dec 29, 2016, 2:20:50 AM12/29/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
Would anyone mind if I replaced the east room music computer? I have a Windows 7 all in one lenovo pc that could sit there instead of the existing computer that is terribly slow.

Steve Pilon

Dec 29, 2016, 2:29:58 AM12/29/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
Or would people be interested in doing a subscription service like XM Satellite radio? Its $11 a month, a radio is a one time cost of $100 unless someone has an old one laying around. Any thoughts?

morgank...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2016, 9:33:43 AM12/29/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Do it, for the children.

Best Regards
Morgan Kyle White

--

---

Steve Pilon

Dec 29, 2016, 4:21:27 PM12/29/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
I'll get started on replacing the computer. Any thoughts on satellite radio?

Ronald J.

Dec 29, 2016, 4:37:48 PM12/29/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Seems like half the stations on XM you can get online anyway, not sure its worth the value.

Ronald "Shark" Melanz, Jr.

On Dec 29, 2016 3:21 PM, "Steve Pilon" <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll get started on replacing the computer. Any thoughts on satellite radio?

--

---

Harvey Matyas

Dec 30, 2016, 12:03:51 PM12/30/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
Someone offered me an old stereo system.
It has a radio, 3 CD player (does not work) and cassette tape system.
I can have it for free, should I bring it next week to the space?
It will fit on a stand, has speakers that can be moved.  It is over 20 years old.

Harvey

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Dec 30, 2016, 9:21:56 PM12/30/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
How about a subscription to Pandora to get rid of the commercial pauses.  BTW, the stations on Pithos seem to be locked - I can't add any new ones.

Bill**2

Operations Director

Dec 30, 2016, 9:45:36 PM12/30/16
to Milwaukee MakerSpace
I thought we only had a music system in the west room. I did not realize the east room had anything for music other than what is in Willy's boat space.

If you have something better and no one objects. Go for it.

DL Swanson
Operation Director, Milwaukee Makerspace.
in...@milwaukeemakerspace.org

On Dec 29, 2016 1:20 AM, "Steve Pilon" <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would anyone mind if I replaced the east room music computer? I have a Windows 7 all in one lenovo pc that could sit there instead of the existing computer that is terribly slow.

Steve Pilon

Dec 31, 2016, 2:06:58 PM12/31/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
Harvey, I don't think we need anymore stereos, I'm replacing the computer. I don't think Pandora is the right option, it stops playing if you don't click on it. That's why I mentioned the actual XM radio, not their online subscription which times out after an hour.

Pete Prodoehl

Dec 31, 2016, 4:40:50 PM12/31/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
If you need a USB device that can automatically click on things... let me know!

Pete

> On Dec 31, 2016, at 1:06 PM, Steve Pilon <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Harvey, I don't think we need anymore stereos, I'm replacing the computer. I don't think Pandora is the right option, it stops playing if you don't click on it. That's why I mentioned the actual XM radio, not their online subscription which times out after an hour.
>
> --
>
> ---

Harvey Matyas

Dec 31, 2016, 10:25:09 PM12/31/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I won't bring the stereo in.

On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Steve Pilon <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Harvey, I don't think we need anymore stereos, I'm replacing the computer. I don't think Pandora is the right option, it stops playing if you don't click on it. That's why I mentioned the actual XM radio, not their online subscription which times out after an hour.

--

---

Jake Bissen

Jan 1, 2017, 6:05:51 PM1/1/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Just put spotify with a subscription on the computer. its cheaper and people can make their own playlists on a makerspace account.

Jake Bissen

Dan Jonke

Jan 1, 2017, 6:53:02 PM1/1/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Steve / Jake / Bill,

The existing (very slow) computer has the 3rd party “Pithos” client for Pandora installed, which does not have the idle stop playing timer, allows for unlimited song skipping, and should be skipping commercials. All without creating a paid Pandora account.

Although according to Bill^2, its not working, I would say lets troubleshoot that before giving up on the current solution.

If you want to put a faster computer on there, you should be able to just image the Xbuntu install from that machine onto your faster one, and not need to reinstall anything. If you wanted to run windows they’ve got a pithos build for that as well. (question from my pov: why?, just more of a maintenance headache for a system that doesn't need to run a whole bunch of existing windows software like the other workstations do)

If we want a paid subscription, to a music service, someone’s going to have to pay for it. Volunteers?

-Dan

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Jan 1, 2017, 7:46:58 PM1/1/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
If, after the computer upgrade and Pithos troubleshooting, the music is still not all we want it to be; then we can discuss subscriptions and prices.  If it comes to that I would chip in towards a worthy candidate.  Any other shop users intere$ted?

Bill**2

Dan Jonke

Jan 7, 2017, 1:16:17 AM1/7/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I updated/repaired Pithos on the existing computer, you can add new stations again.

Steve, if you want to upgrade to better hardware, I don’t have any objections.

-Dan

Sent: Sunday, January 1, 2017 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: [MakerSpace] East room music computer

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Jan 8, 2017, 11:41:23 AM1/8/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Thank you Dan;

 I suspected that the station problem was an update issue.

Bill**2