What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2017-01-16 edition]

remmin...@2xlnetworks.net

Jan 16, 2017, 9:55:04 AM1/16/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a message from reMMinderbot.

Makers! It's time to share... what have you been hacking on or making?

been keeping you busy, either at the space or elsewhere.

reMMinderbot thanks you!

the_digital_dentist

Jan 16, 2017, 10:51:38 AM1/16/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
A 3D printer, what did you expect?

Specifically, I've been working on the Z axis for the CoreXY project I've had going for several months.  Yesterday I fabricated the print bed support structure.  If the ice on the roads melts today I may get to the space to make the print bed itself.

Here's a little teaser:

It stands 146 cm tall, fits easily through doorways, and has skate wheel casters to allow easy movement.

I'm waiting for some parts from China so I can bolt on the Rino worm gear reducer to lift the bed.  In the meantime, there's plenty of other work to do.

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Jan 17, 2017, 9:13:23 AM1/17/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
I "electro-cleaned" the rust off of a large lathe chuck.  The process was about 5 hours long and the rust on the chuck after the process wiped off with a paper towel.

Bill**2  (ignore the date/time on the pics, I didn't set the date)
1Wired.JPG
2Before.JPG
3Start.JPG
4Midcycle.JPG
5RustyH2O.JPG
6Drain.JPG
7Wipedown.JPG
8CleanChuck.JPG

ChrisH

Jan 17, 2017, 11:36:21 AM1/17/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
More details about the "electro-cleaning", please? What was the solution? How many volts & amps did you use? AC/DC? etc..

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Jan 17, 2017, 7:50:39 PM1/17/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
The setup is on the Metal Shop improvement projects cart.  6 volts dc at about 4 amps till the chuck was clean, then I noticed that the current dropped to 2 amps.  The sacrificial rebar rods are hooked to the positive supply, the item to be de-rusted is negative.  The solution is water to cover and a handfull of Arm and hammer WASHING SODA, NOT baking soda.

Bill**2
Message has been deleted

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Jan 17, 2017, 8:02:53 PM1/17/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
The three bearings needed to get the surface grinder operational have been aquired. The bearings in hand are the correct ones except for the preload.

 The cost for the exact replacement bearings from a combination of allied bearing and a seller on E-bay would have been about $1800.

The total cost of the bearings I have with the cost to reset the preload it will be about 1/3 of the $1800.  This is what the delay was, searching for a few months VS. $1200.

Bill**2

Pete Prodoehl

Jan 17, 2017, 9:16:53 PM1/17/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I taught the first Beginner Arduino Class, and wrote up a blog post
about it:

https://milwaukeemakerspace.org/2017/01/beginner-arduino-class/

We did not get through all the examples. I may rejigger things a bit for
the next class, and I've got some ideas for the Intermediate Class already.

If you want to take the Beginner Class in the future, add your name at
the bottom of the page here:

https://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/classes/beginnerarduino

I'll do another one in February, though I'm not sure of the date & time
yet...

Pete

Ed Hagopian

Jan 18, 2017, 1:23:37 AM1/18/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Boxes for bottle openers.
IMG_2283.JPG

Matthew Metcalf

Jan 18, 2017, 7:23:44 AM1/18/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I have been working on sprucing up and old tool box from the last big auction Tom G brought into the space. Basically cleaned it up, repainted it, and replaced the handles/lock/felt. Hopefully the pic attached isn't too big.

Boxes for bottle openers.
--

---

20170103_210535.jpg

Jerry HM

Jan 18, 2017, 8:50:14 PM1/18/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ed-

Those turned out nice!

What finish did you put on? Varnish with some poly-u? (what color is it?)
--

---

Jerry HM

Jan 18, 2017, 8:51:16 PM1/18/17