What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2017-01-02 edition]

remmin...@2xlnetworks.net

Jan 2, 2017, 9:55:05 AM1/2/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a message from reMMinderbot.

Makers! It's time to share... what have you been hacking on or making?

been keeping you busy, either at the space or elsewhere.

reMMinderbot thanks you!

James

Jan 2, 2017, 11:44:14 AM1/2/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

  1. Finishing up a solenoid motor.  Two parts to finish up, then assembly.  Similar to this one:

  2. Started sanding/stripping a rusty machinist toolbox I got for free.   It was originally up for grabs, but nobody took it on and I didn’t have the heart to throw it away.  Anyone know where I might look for replacement latches/lock?

  3. Made(hacked) a shield for my “new to me” snowblower’s carburetor to keep snow and ice away from it.  Someone who had it before me took it off.   I may make a better one later.

Upcoming

  • Making a bench similar to what Wolfgang made that’s in the wood shop.  I will need some training with welding.

  • Wiper covers for the South Bend (missing three of four).   Does anyone know if felt can be cut on the laser cutters?  I’m guessing not.

  • A motor from a self-pulsing coil and three magnets (I’ve got all the parts).

  • This antenna array: http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/how-to/a6608/build-your-own-digital-tv-antenna/ - unless someone has better plans (that doesn’t require much cost/effort).

Sent: Monday, January 2, 2017 8:55 AM

--

---

---
IMG_20161228_103138760_HDR.jpg

Pete Prodoehl

Jan 2, 2017, 4:15:01 PM1/2/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I started putting together a tiny CNC machine from a kit:

http://rasterweb.net/raster/2017/01/02/little-cnc-milling-machine/

Pete

James

Jan 2, 2017, 4:42:45 PM1/2/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I've been looking for a kit like that Pete.
I'd be interested in talking to you about it next time I see you at the space.

I started putting together a tiny CNC machine from a kit:

http://rasterweb.net/raster/2017/01/02/little-cnc-milling-machine/

I've completed the mechanical build of a small CNC mill/engraver. I've seen these on eBay from various sellers (like this, this, this, and this) and I've even seen one on Amazon from LinkSprite. I ...

Pete

--

---

Ed Hagopian

Jan 2, 2017, 6:30:50 PM1/2/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Made bottle openers out of spikes

On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 3:42:45 PM UTC-6, james4875 wrote:
> I've been looking for a kit like that Pete.
>
> I'd be interested in talking to you about it next time I see you at the space.

IMG_2233.JPG

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Jan 3, 2017, 7:57:06 PM1/3/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
I picked up a cheap "Action Cam" From Home depot's black friday leftovers.  I mounted it on a hacked tripod and tried it out when Ed was on the lathe.  I hope to be able to document some of the things going on in the shop.

Bill**2    When I try to attach the AVI file it fails.  Anyone have an idea to try?

Ronald J.

Jan 3, 2017, 8:02:29 PM1/3/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Forge stuff, me routing the entire outside edge of my desk, welding or braising would be cool.

Ronald "Shark" Melanz, Jr.

On Jan 3, 2017 6:57 PM, "wwill...@wi.rr.com" <wwill...@wi.rr.com> wrote:
I picked up a cheap "Action Cam" From Home depot's black friday leftovers.  I mounted it on a hacked tripod and tried it out when Ed was on the lathe.  I hope to be able to document some of the things going on in the shop.

Bill**2    When I try to attach the AVI file it fails.  Anyone have an idea to try?

--

---

the_digital_dentist

Jan 4, 2017, 6:57:39 AM1/4/17
to milwaukeemakerspace

post video to youtube or vimeo, then insert a link to it here.  If you use youtube it may embed the video in the post.

the_digital_dentist

Jan 6, 2017, 1:11:47 PM1/6/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Work continues of the new CoreXY machine.  I'll be using an Ondrives Rino worm gear reducer to prevent the bed from dropping when motor power is cut.  While I wait for its arrival, I'm working on a printable design using the garage door opener worm gear set that I got via ebay for $10.  I designed the shell to print in two pieces which should make assembly very easy.   The gears use 1/2" (approximately) shafts, so I'll have to do a little work on the lathe to couple to the 1/4" motor shaft and the 1/4" drive pulley for the Z axis.

I also made casters for the CoreXY printer.  These will not squeak or leave marks on a floor!  I used a couple skate wheels from some skates I picked up at the Good Will store on Oklahoma Ave.  The rest was made from 1/8" aluminum using the band saw and a drill press.  It took longer to debur all the pieces than to design it and cut/drill.  I'm going to put two casters on the front legs of the machine and adjustable leveling feet (printed TPU) on the rear legs.  Moving the machine will be as easy as tilting it forward, rolling it, then standing it up again.