Arcade (MAME) electronics

Jerry HM

Nov 19, 2016, 9:39:13 AM11/19/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hey gang-

(Pete? Royce? perhaps?  Anyone? )  :)

Not sure if any of you have gone down this path before..

But I am attempting to make a mini arcade cabinet using some 3mm ply and some modified plans found on theinternet.

This will be a Raspberry Pi based project (and my first adventure with a Pi to date, dont even own one yet, and have only ever worked on Arduino based projects in the past)..

Questions:

* Are there 'go to places' where one can get a Raspberry Pi cheap?  (I usually grab Arduino clones off Ebay.. is there the same 'economy' for the Pi's?  I didnt see any on EBay? )

* I know the Raspberry Pi is currently at v3...  (and for previous RetroPi/MAME users)..  do you NEED to use a Pi v3?  Or can you still use Pi v2's?  (and any pros or cons to using either/or?)

* Knowing nothing about the Pi's so far..   what are the limits/conditions on picking an HDMI monitor/display to use with the PI's?  Any HMDI display will work?  I need to look for a specific 'controller board' when looking for HMDI displays?  I see things like official Pi \touch screen' HMDI monitors/displays.... (but I dont need anything to be 'touch screen'.. so not sure if these can/should still be used? or if its best to look for something else?

* Arcade hardware...

-- being as this a modified (smaller) version than the already mini arcade cabinets plans were  (ie:  I modified/shrunk things down, so the largest piece(s) would fit on some 12x12 ply sheets I have..  I didnt have any 20x12 sheets laying around. )  :(   The buttons and joystick as kinda starved for room...  (although -may- still work, wont know for sure until I cut it out and give it the once over)

-- Is there any place locally I can pick up some arcade buttons from?  I want to do some test fits.

-- Do they sell/make (maybe) 3/4 the size or slightly smaller arcade style buttons anywhere else?  (not my scene.. so I dont where to look or what sizes/options are out there.. although on many other builds.. I have saw different buttons used of all types)

-- I guess the same for the joystick?  Is there maybe a 3/4 the size of a normal/regulation sized joystick available?

For some reason I -thought- I had saw some arcade buttons at Science Surplus store.. but a quick check on their website didnt show anything.  (I feel like I saw these sold locally somewhere)??

Any adivce, gotcha's to be aware about... or just general communication/chit-chat about the project is appreciated.

thanks guys!

-Jerry

the_digital_dentist

Nov 19, 2016, 10:24:32 AM11/19/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
You can custom design buttons to any size shape you want and we can 3D print them in whatever colors you want.

John Rockefeller

Nov 19, 2016, 11:00:35 AM11/19/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
 I put two sheets of 4X4 3mm ply in the laser room. If you need larger ply they might still be there.

--

---

Jerry HM

Nov 19, 2016, 11:01:52 AM11/19/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Thanks!

I was hoping to find some 'pre-made' ones....

* the default/stock ones might work.. (but wanted to start looking for a plan B just in case)..

* smaller but still pre-made with switches..etc is secondary option..

* ultimately in the end.. if neither work out.. I can try to go down this route.  (just much more work to design new buttons/switches when you can pre-made ones)

If it comes down to this.. I might tap you for some SoM time!  :)

thanks!

-Jerry

Scott Swanson

Nov 19, 2016, 12:06:45 PM11/19/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jerry:

All Raspberry Pis v3 are priced at $35 + shipping from only a few distributors in the US.  I have an older v2 that I can sell you for $20 if you are interested.  The v2 version shouldn't affect your use for the described project.

-- Scott

Pete Prodoehl

Nov 19, 2016, 12:31:47 PM11/19/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Answers inline...

On 11/19/16 8:39 AM, Jerry HM wrote:

Hey gang-

(Pete? Royce? perhaps?  Anyone? )  :)

Not sure if any of you have gone down this path before..

But I am attempting to make a mini arcade cabinet using some 3mm ply and some modified plans found on theinternet.

This will be a Raspberry Pi based project (and my first adventure with a Pi to date, dont even own one yet, and have only ever worked on Arduino based projects in the past)..

Questions:

* Are there 'go to places' where one can get a Raspberry Pi cheap?  (I usually grab Arduino clones off Ebay.. is there the same 'economy' for the Pi's?  I didnt see any on EBay? )

Get a Pi 3 from Amazon, about $35. (No clones out there, if there are, don't trust them.)

* I know the Raspberry Pi is currently at v3...  (and for previous RetroPi/MAME users)..  do you NEED to use a Pi v3?  Or can you still use Pi v2's?  (and any pros or cons to using either/or?)

You can use an older model, but the v3 is very nice (and cheap.) Built in WiFi can make things easier with config, copy files over, etc.

* Knowing nothing about the Pi's so far..   what are the limits/conditions on picking an HDMI monitor/display to use with the PI's?  Any HMDI display will work?  I need to look for a specific 'controller board' when looking for HMDI displays?  I see things like official Pi \touch screen' HMDI monitors/displays.... (but I dont need anything to be 'touch screen'.. so not sure if these can/should still be used? or if its best to look for something else?

Any HDMI display should work fine. I've used tons of different ones. There are plenty of settings in the config.txt file to adjust video display.

* Arcade hardware...

-- being as this a modified (smaller) version than the already mini arcade cabinets plans were  (ie:  I modified/shrunk things down, so the largest piece(s) would fit on some 12x12 ply sheets I have..  I didnt have any 20x12 sheets laying around. )  :(   The buttons and joystick as kinda starved for room...  (although -may- still work, wont know for sure until I cut it out and give it the once over)

-- Is there any place locally I can pick up some arcade buttons from?  I want to do some test fits.

My basement? ;) Besides that, I doubt it.

-- Do they sell/make (maybe) 3/4 the size or slightly smaller arcade style buttons anywhere else?  (not my scene.. so I dont where to look or what sizes/options are out there.. although on many other builds.. I have saw different buttons used of all types)

Tons of different buttons are available. Check Digikey, Mouser, or Octopart for a good search.

-- I guess the same for the joystick?  Is there maybe a 3/4 the size of a normal/regulation sized joystick available?

Yes... Again, check Adafruit and SparkFun. Many small(ish) joysticks for Arduino related things are out there.

For some reason I -thought- I had saw some arcade buttons at Science Surplus store.. but a quick check on their website didnt show anything.  (I feel like I saw these sold locally somewhere)??

Never bought any local. I love the Internet.

Any adivce, gotcha's to be aware about... or just general communication/chit-chat about the project is appreciated.

Keep asking here?

Also, Josh from Brown Dog Gadgets (should be on this list) has built one. He might have some advice.

Pete

thanks guys!

-Jerry

John Eich

Nov 19, 2016, 1:53:58 PM11/19/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
If you'd like, two of our members have built them, and bought buttons/joysticks locally here in Madison.

Timm built a 4-player monster version, and can be reached via elect...@thebodgery.org.
Mike built a bar-top version and if you email me (jo...@thebodgery.org) I can connect you two.  That was his first Pi project as well.

John
Bodgery makerspace
Madison

Jerry HM

Nov 19, 2016, 7:35:26 PM11/19/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Pete.

Pertaining to the arcade specific parts..

After researching..

I fell into this overwhelming arcade button information overload

Happ vs. Sanwa vs. Seimitsu..etc..etc..

sensitivity..accuracy..etc

I'm not sure any of that even applies for this project?  (but I think I have a direction now).

The joystick?.. not so much.  Again tons of different names and abbreviations.. name vs name...  plate/restrictor (circle, square..etc)

(didnt make a decision here yet)

maybe I'm over thinking both?  (and should just grab some

Regarding the HMDI monitors..  for all your displays you have used, did you have to ensure there was a controller board for it? or any bare HMDI display that has a connection will usually work?

Do you know if I need one of those 'zero delay usb encoders'? Or are those only for the 'PC' based MAME projects?

Jerry HM

Nov 24, 2016, 11:41:32 AM11/24/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hi Scott-

Somehow I missed this!

I'll take the RPi2 off your hands for $20..

Gimmie a PayPal address and I'll send the money this weekend sometime!

Not sure how to pick it up from you.. maybe just leave it at the space somewhere?

(Perhaps in Pete's locker where he puts extra 3MM ply sheets for sale? [if he still does that.. its been a while!] :) )

betz...@project314.org

Dec 12, 2016, 7:14:13 PM12/12/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
Jerry, I once had MAME running on a simple PC with perhaps 2,000 games.  I bought a heavy-duty tabletop two player console (about 14" by 24" or so) that someone sold on the internet with really nice joysticks and buttons.  It was well finished and cost a little over $100, as I recall.  They were the same quality as you find on the old game sets, minus the heavy duty wear, of course.

The buttons that are used on those old console games could probably be sourced from Allen - Bradley like companies that do industrial controls.  I would assume they'd have a variety of joysticks to choose from as well.