Group Buy/donations for Ceramics Kiln

jeff mann

May 9, 2018, 9:57:24 PM5/9/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Hello All,

I already posted something in the members only board but to catch all of the members and some that only look at the public board I thought I would post here too.
The ceramics area is looking to buy a new kiln, specificly a KM1227-3PK from skutt. Currently we have a group buy posted up on the wiki https://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/miscellaneous/groupbuys The kiln costs approxamatly 4500$ giver or take some. We already have raised 2550$. If you have any questions I am more than happy to respond on the message board.
Thanks
-Jeff

William Reid

May 10, 2018, 3:28:59 PM5/10/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,
Pls put me down for a $100.
I tried to add my name to the pledge list via the wiki, but was unsuccessful
Thanks for all your work in the ceramics area
Bill R

--

---

Kathryn Hughett

May 10, 2018, 3:33:57 PM5/10/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I'm pledging $100.00 as well. I'll add it to the wiki when I get to the Makerspace later.

---

Chris Hemmerly

May 11, 2018, 10:37:30 AM5/11/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Please make sure you consider how much power that kiln will require.
From what I can tell, it's a 240V, 60A (or 208V 70A single phase, or 208V 60A 3-phase) circuit. Does the ceramics area have that kind of power available?
Will the existing exhaust system be compatible with it?
-Chris

Chris Hemmerly

May 11, 2018, 10:38:29 AM5/11/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Also, is $4500 really the best price for it?
This website...

..lists the price at $3300 with free shipping!

-Chris

jeff mann

May 11, 2018, 11:05:55 AM5/11/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
There is plans for new power being run, for 208 3phase. The 4500 includes additional accessories. Things like a venting system and furniture for the kiln. Also that isn’t the cheapest place on the internet to buy it, http://www.americanceramics.com/ is cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone
--

---

Sean Derby

Mat

May 12, 2018, 12:04:56 AM5/12/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I am in for $30 for a new Kiln to get the area up and working nicely!

Mat M
Message has been deleted

kendram...@gmail.com

May 13, 2018, 11:35:54 AM5/13/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I have changed my area fund to add a few bucks to the Ceramics area.
Not much but.....

-She of less cats than before

jeff mann

May 21, 2018, 11:00:40 PM5/21/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
With the boards decission, pending those funds and the generous donations from the metalshop and forging area we are only 226$ away from the goal to purchase the kiln! So if anyone wants to help now would be the time.

-Jeff

Ellen Fulton

May 21, 2018, 11:28:00 PM5/21/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Count me in for $50.

Thanks,
Ellen

Sent from my iPhone

On May 21, 2018, at 10:00 PM, jeff mann <cook...@gmail.com> wrote:

With the boards decission, pending those funds and the generous donations from the metalshop and forging area we are only 226$ away from the goal to purchase the kiln! So if anyone wants to help now would be the time.

-Jeff

Phillip Gonzales

May 22, 2018, 1:03:10 PM5/22/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I don't if my replies went through last night, so I think I finally figured out how to post here. But anyways, I would love to contribute the remainder. This type of kiln would definitely make it a true ceramics area at the space. I've been hoping to rekindle my ceramics skills for quite some time now, as I've had 3 yrs experience in the past, and this would definitely motivate me to do so. Full support here!

I also donated the remainder of $176.00 to the ceramics area last night for it...

Phil Gonzales

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 10:28:00 PM UTC-5, korteco wrote:
Count me in for $50.

Thanks,
Ellen

Sent from my iPhone

On May 21, 2018, at 10:00 PM, jeff mann <cook...@gmail.com> wrote:

With the boards decission, pending those funds and the generous donations from the metalshop and forging area we are only 226$ away from the goal to purchase the kiln! So if anyone wants to help now would be the time.

-Jeff

--

---

jeff mann

May 22, 2018, 8:39:58 PM5/22/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
THANK YOU ALL! The kiln is fully funded.
For all those who put in for the group buy if you would please either deposit the money in the treasurers box with a note on what it is for or send the funds though the donate page(again nothing what it is for) on the makerspace website. When funds have been collected and the board proposal confirmed we will order the kiln and hopefully get it installed and running in a reasonable amount of time.
-Jeff