Quadcopter Woes

John McGeen

Jul 14, 2015, 6:09:27 PM7/14/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Good evening everyone!

I am contacting you to inquire if anyone would be willing to help me out with a certain quadcopter problem I am experiencing.

Let me first begin by saying that this quadcopter was airborne at one time, but after running into a tree branch and taking a tumble I have not been able to get it airborne again. I believe something was damaged because when I tried to rebuild the quadcopter a puff of smoke came from the escs and the old AfroNaze32 rev.5 board gets hot after plugging it into usb.

That being said, I purchased brand new escs, two brand new AfroNaze 32 rev.5 boards, and new motors to rebuild the quad. What could go wrong, right? Well I have been struggling with it for weeks. The problems that I am experiencing are: 1)One to Two of the motors will stall under high throttle input. 2) One of the motors seems to spin up much slower than the other 3 motors, 3) Especially when using my Turnigy 9x receiver, looking at my throttle inputs in baseflight, the current going to each motor fluctuates wildly, and will eventually stall out a motor. If I continue to let it stall at least one of the motor windings will darken and burn(Speaking from experience, I can show you the damage).

All in all, this has caused me enough frustration and I am ready to consult with the experts.

I would be very willing to meet with any enthusiasts either on the next Tuesday meeting, or at your convenience.

Hope to hear back from you!

Thank you for your time,

John McGeen

Scott Swanson

Jul 14, 2015, 10:38:10 PM7/14/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I am by no means an expert, but I would suspect the replacement motors may have different operating characteristics.  Swap the motors around and see how they behave in order to determine if the problem is with the motor or the electronics.

Regards,

Scott