Solder Sleeves

Brant Holeman

May 12, 2015, 9:23:08 AM5/12/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I hadn't seen these before. I figured some people here might appreciate them.

Chris C

May 12, 2015, 9:27:33 AM5/12/15
to milwaukeemakerspace
Those look pretty neat, anyone ever try them by chance?

--

---

Brent Bublitz

May 12, 2015, 9:29:27 AM5/12/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I may have to do this....

the_digital_dentist

May 12, 2015, 10:03:11 AM5/12/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
It almost looks too good to be true.

What sort of plastic holds up to enough heat to melt the solder?  I don't think it's tin/lead or silver solder.
The demo probably uses teflon insulated wires- experience tells me vinyl insulation would melt.

Mike

May 12, 2015, 1:17:48 PM5/12/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if its more like a soldier paste that just gets compressed onto the connection when the heatshrink shrinks.

Eric Berna

May 12, 2015, 2:24:46 PM5/12/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know what they are using in this product, but I do know that PTFE heat shrink needs over 300°C to shrink, which is plenty hot to melt most solder alloys.

Eric Berna

Brent Bublitz

May 12, 2015, 2:39:32 PM5/12/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Decided this was a great way to spend a gift certificate I had. 50 pack on the way.

Pete Prodoehl

May 18, 2015, 10:48:07 PM5/18/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Saw these as well:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1496

Pete

On 5/12/15 1:24 PM, Eric Berna wrote:
> I don’t know what they are using in this product, but I do know that
> PTFE heat shrink needs over 300°C to shrink, which is plenty hot to
> melt most solder alloys.
>
> Eric Berna
>
>> On May 12, 2015, at 12:17 PM, Mike <brzeski...@gmail.com

the_digital_dentist

May 19, 2015, 12:01:57 AM5/19/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Dan Felix

May 19, 2015, 6:47:22 AM5/19/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I bought a kit from a company based in Racine some years ago; used it where I had connections exposed to more challenging conditions. Their butane "UltraTorch" was handy because, not coincidentally, where I was using this, I didn't have easy access to AC power.
https://www.masterappliance.com/heat-tool-products/heat-sealed-connectors/multiseal-connector-kits