What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2015-02-23 edition]

remmin...@2xlnetworks.net

Feb 23, 2015, 9:55:04 AM2/23/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a message from reMMinderbot.

Makers! It's time to share... what have you been hacking on or making?

been keeping you busy, either at the space or elsewhere.

reMMinderbot thanks you!

Datalink

Feb 25, 2015, 5:00:38 PM2/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
PiScanner Progress:
I had gotten parts for a RPi based scanner project I'm working on however I had to re-order a couple of them. I will also have to roll a board for this project and if the space is interested, and folks can volunteer a couple of parts, I could rig up a second copy of this design at the same time, to stay at the space.

In addition to the Pi 3D scanner I've been waiting for parts on, I have a couple other large projects I'm working on.

Studio Tally:
These are Camera indicator lights, old old project I'm reawakening, with some modifications.
Original spec for it was to use Arduino Fio V3 as the base station with 6 headphone connectors to a VGA cable mounted on the case to cconnect it to our AV equipment and several Arduino Fios to work as the remote stations, including batteries. The comm was going to be handled by a XBee mesh network and the display of Tally. I had planned on adding a sync'd I2C protocol to help with some items such as timers for debates.

Revisions to the design include possibly swapping out the Fios for other boards, and I'm even considering using an Edison for the base station, though I fear that might be a touch overkill.

The biggest problem I'm having is manifest cost, the first BOM attempt was around $100 per unit for 5 units, which is... despite how much I like helping the studio out, a bit outside my budget and sadly, the studio's. So I have been working on ideas to reduce cost where possible, and improve functionality.

I've also been considering the potential of spinning my own boards to perform the work, this option, of course, would add it's own cost concerns, but would allow me to rework it.

Telex Intercom box clips:
A much simpler mechanical project I have relates to the studio cameras as well. I need to make some hanging tabs for the studio cameras, as they currently are using a clip that a prior volunteer had set up, this would just require a couple of strips 1/2 inch by 4 inches bent a bit and with holes put in certain spots.

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Feb 25, 2015, 7:03:15 PM2/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
We're one step closer to having the taper attachment on the SBL working.  Tom Klein and I machined the stop clamp to fit the rear way on the bed.

Bill**2

James

Feb 25, 2015, 7:26:48 PM2/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
That's great Bill!
I wonder if I still remember how to use a taper attachment properly.  I used to do it here and there on a Clausing/Colchester lathe.

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 16:03:15 -0800
From: wwill...@wi.rr.com
To: milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [MakerSpace] Re: What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2015-02-23 edition]

--

---

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Feb 25, 2015, 7:54:06 PM2/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com, jame...@hotmail.com
There is a general "How To" on pages 62 -63 of the book "How to run a lathe" by South Bend Lathe Works (Copy on the table next to the lathe).

If the taper attachment is used often, I have a modification in mind to add a fine tuning adjustment.  Well see.

Bill**2

the_digital_dentist

Feb 26, 2015, 10:44:54 PM2/26/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Son of MegaMax progress has slowed to a halt while I wait for a new smoothieboard to arrive.  I ordered and received a new one after I cooked the first one, but the new one had an SD card socket problem.  I contacted Uberclock and they sent me a new one very quickly- should arrive on Saturday and progress will resume.