Table Saw is Down

Steve Pilon

Dec 22, 2017, 9:39:47 AM12/22/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
I'm told the table saw is making a squeaking noise. It is most likely the bearings. I'm headed out of town untill Wednesday so this is going to take a little while. On the positive side doing the disassembly we should be able to remove 50+ years of grease build up which should make raising and lowering the saw along with tilting significantly easier! I'll post updates as they develop.

Steve Pilon

Jan 2, 2018, 2:09:10 AM1/2/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
A quick update here: we're replacing the bearings in the spindle and the motor as well as belts. Not sure about making it easier to raise and lower though, I'm hesitant to tear into cast iron and break it. With that said we did clean out the mechanism and it's a little easier then before.

Steve Gutschow

Jan 2, 2018, 5:45:53 PM1/2/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
If you need a hand, I’ll do what I can to help ya get er going.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 22, 2017, at 8:39 AM, Steve Pilon <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm told the table saw is making a squeaking noise. It is most likely the bearings. I'm headed out of town untill Wednesday so this is going to take a little while. On the positive side doing the disassembly we should be able to remove 50+ years of grease build up which should make raising and lowering the saw along with tilting significantly easier! I'll post updates as they develop.
>
> --
>
> ---

Tom Gralewicz

Jan 11, 2018, 2:34:59 PM1/11/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
All the new bearings are installed, it took an extra week to get a replacement nut for the arbor but that's been installed as well.

Its ready to go back together, my recommendation is to use dry graphite to lubricate the moving bits - anything wet will stick to dust and gum things back up.

Note:  The pulley on the arbor shaft is tight, but can be loosened and moved back and forth about 1/2" to align the belts.

I'm fighting a cold but hope to be around Saturday after lunch to help with reassembly.

Tom

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

---

james4875

Jan 11, 2018, 10:08:27 PM1/11/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I'l be around a bit Saturday and Sunday afternoon, if you are working on it and need a hand let me know.

I also agree 100% - dry lube only. Might be good to put on the wood shop's marker board and mention at any training.  And any post declaring it's back in service.  Think some people's first instinct his to hose it down with penetrating oil when it gets stiff.   Which may help a bit at first but only worsens the issue long term.

Steve Pilon

Jan 12, 2018, 12:16:04 PM1/12/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I have used LPS1 on the 4x8 router and found that it does not attract dust and has pretty good staying power.

Tom Gralewicz

Jan 13, 2018, 10:37:34 AM1/13/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I'm down with the flu today so won't make the saw rebuild, feel free to tackle it without me.

On Jan 12, 2018 11:16 AM, "Steve Pilon" <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have used LPS1 on the 4x8 router and found that it does not attract dust and has pretty good staying power.

Steve Pilon

Jan 14, 2018, 4:02:26 AM1/14/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Tom I didn't get to the saw sat, I'll see if I can get it at least started sun.

Tom Gralewicz

Jan 16, 2018, 1:36:20 PM1/16/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I am back among the living and will be at the space tonight, I hope to work on reassembly of the table saw after the meeting.

I also have the rebuild kit for the urinal flush valve that can get installed.

Tom

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 3:02 AM, Steve Pilon <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tom I didn't get to the saw sat, I'll see if I can get it at least started sun.

Steve Pilon

Jan 16, 2018, 2:32:35 PM1/16/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Good to hear Tom, unfortunately I was unable to work on it. Ill be at the space Wednesday night next, a friend is going out of town and were doing dinner tonight.

Steve Pilon

Jan 17, 2018, 12:54:23 PM1/17/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Status update:

Table saw is reassembled, the crank for lowering and raising the blade as well as tilting the blade works a billion times better! IT works so much better that in fact you now will have to use the center knob to lock in the setting. If you need help finding it let me know and I can show you it.

Its not ready yet, I'll be in tonight(Wednesday) to square it up and give it the once over, it will be ready by Thursday. Huge thanks to Tom Gral. Bill and Bobby Coon, Bob Kammerman and anyone else I'm forgetting.

Steve Pilon

Jan 17, 2018, 11:45:13 PM1/17/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Update, i did not get to the table saw tonight I'll see if i can do it Thursday night.

integritylawnlandscaping

Jan 18, 2018, 1:01:04 PM1/18/18
to milwaukeemakerspace

Your are awesome Steve. Many thanks to you, Tom and whoever else helped fixing the table saw.

Rik The handsomest landscaper in all the land and possibly outer space!? P.S Banners DON’T rock!

Steve Pilon

Jan 19, 2018, 12:14:05 PM1/19/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Table saw is up!

Huge thanks to Tom Gral. Bill and Bobby Coon, Bob Kammerman, Kyle and anyone else I'm forgetting.