PCB

Royce Pipkins

Jan 22, 2018, 1:54:19 PM1/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I had a PCB that I wanted to get semi quick so I went to OSHPark. The board is about 5 1/2 sq. in. so it was going to be around $26 or $27. BUT, I had slots in mine and OSHPark didn't like that.

So I went to my usual Chinese place, Elecrow. Five boards were $5 and I went ahead and selected the $17 Shenzhen DHL shipping option for about $22 total since that was still less than what I had intended to give to OSHPark.  I ordered last Monday (1/15) and the DHL guy just now delivered my boards (1/22).

Cheaper, faster, and more functional (I get my slots) in the end.

IMG_20180122_123506.jpg

Pete Prodoehl

Jan 22, 2018, 2:27:56 PM1/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Wow, nice!

I've ordered from Seeed Studio and the price was good. I've got a review here:

    http://rasterweb.net/raster/2016/12/04/seeed-studio-fusion-pcb-service/

I'll have to check out Elecrow.

(Note: I always use a $10 off code when ordering from OSH Park.)

Pete
--

---

Adam Cohen

Jan 22, 2018, 3:42:30 PM1/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I used electrow last time.  I used their PCBA service.  Everything looked good but I had to replace every MCU with one from digikey...  :(

Jerry HM

Jan 22, 2018, 3:59:08 PM1/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Hey Adam-

Can you expand on that?

Were the source chips just no good?  clones?  Fake all together?

I have used MANY of these chinese PCB fab houses.. but have yet to use any PCBA services..  (which I'm gearing up to now)

So things to be aware of is helpful.

Royce Pipkins

Jan 22, 2018, 4:05:57 PM1/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure of Adam's situation, but it is my understanding that fake chips are rampant in China. I think recommendation is that you buy all non-jellybean parts and ship them to the assembly house.

That said, I have personally never used an assembly service.

Adam, did Elecrow take care of you?

Adam Cohen

Jan 22, 2018, 7:53:56 PM1/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. I don't know if they were fakes or they were damaged during reflow. Elecrow and and I agreed to disagree. Next time I will consign all my ICs. I might still try them again because they were quite affordable. Just won't let them source my parts.

---

---

---

---

Jerry HM

Jan 22, 2018, 9:56:20 PM1/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

What was there stance?  They used legit parts..... and there is no reason for it not to be working?

And no refund I'm taking it?

Adam Cohen

Jan 22, 2018, 10:00:04 PM1/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

More or less. It was only 10 units to test their work.  Glad I did. Bit I wasn't going to fight them about it.  Nothing i could do anyways.  It's risc-y business.  See what I did there?

John Neil Thompson

Jan 29, 2018, 6:46:28 PM1/29/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
For us newbies fascinated by electronic stuff but not yet fully initiated, what are "non-jellybean parts", and what did Adam mean when he said next time he'd "consign" all his IC's?

Thanks,

John Neil

Royce Pipkins

Jan 29, 2018, 6:56:44 PM1/29/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
A jelly bean part is a part that is simple, common, cheap, and comes from numerous manufacturers. Linear voltage regulators, general op-amps, 555 timers. etc.

Adam simply meant that he'd buy the parts himself from a reputable supplier and have them shipped to the assembler.

John Neil Thompson

Jan 29, 2018, 7:00:50 PM1/29/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Thanks for the explanation!