Looking for a large dish

photozz

May 7, 2018, 1:01:17 PM5/7/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I'm trying to build a 'Beauty Dish' for photography. I need to source a large 20+ inch diameter somewhat shallow dish shape. A stainless mixing bowl is the perfect shape.

I can get large 30qt stainless mixing bowls fairly cheap, but with shipping it's still around $25. I'm thinking of local restaurant suppliers, but they are all a good deal more expensive for something that size.

I have been thinking of making something with foam core pieces cut to shape and hot glued together.

Anyone have any sources for solid dish shapes, bowls or better ideas? It does not need to be metal, but it does need to be rigid. I have all the rest of the hardware I need, I'm just missing the dish.

Kathryn Hughett

May 7, 2018, 7:00:45 PM5/7/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I saw something like you are describing at an estate sale this past weekend. Too bad that I didn't know sooner. The problem with estate sales is that when they post on Craigslist and everywhere else they don't list individually what they have. You just have to hunt.

--

---

lemondealc

May 7, 2018, 7:20:51 PM5/7/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I could help you build a geodesic dish that could be wrapped and lit from behind. I've only built large domes but I'm sure a simple pentagon panel would be rigid enough and shallow enough for your purposes.

Here is a link to view my domes:

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:01 PM, photozz <pho...@gmail.com> wrote:

Kathryn H.

May 8, 2018, 5:32:17 PM5/8/18
to milwaukeemakerspace

Eric Berna

May 8, 2018, 6:47:25 PM5/8/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
How about a birdbath? Readily available at your neighborhood home center, and can be cheaper than the prices mentioned.

Eric Berna

Brent Bublitz

May 10, 2018, 9:45:55 AM5/10/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I actually found the thing I need. Superior restaurant supply had an 18" wide shallow dish for $12. I'm going to create a blog post on the build. Thanks for the ideas.

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Eric Berna <er...@bernafamily.com> wrote:
How about a birdbath? Readily available at your neighborhood home center, and can be cheaper than the prices mentioned.

Eric Berna

Pete Prodoehl

May 10, 2018, 11:30:02 AM5/10/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Awesome! I look forward to the blog post. :)

Pete