Does anyone have a use for a high voltage transformer

Tom Gralewicz

Jan 18, 2017, 11:32:56 PM1/18/17
to milwaukeemakerspace

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker
​  ​

transformer 1.jpg

Ronald J.

Jan 19, 2017, 1:35:11 AM1/19/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
350kV, made in 1960? How big is this thing?

--

---

James

Jan 19, 2017, 1:59:08 AM1/19/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Been looking for one to make a Jacob's Ladder with, does that fit in?
Something quick/easy to get going and elaborate on later.

Maybe like this, but can even be more crude/hacked to start-

http://www.instructables.com/id/Low-Cost-Jacobs-Ladder-Made-From-A-Salvaged-Oil-T/

We are Milwaukee's hacker space and fabrication lab. Be a part of a hacker/builder community where ideas are shared, innovation is fostered and the maker ...

--

---

GRoth...@aol.com

We are Milwaukee's hacker space and fabrication lab. Be a part of a hacker/builder community where ideas are shared, innovation is fostered and the maker ...

--

---

Tom Gralewicz

Jan 19, 2017, 4:17:21 PM1/19/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
Here's a picture of the transformer:

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 2:25 PM, GRothe3646 via milwaukeemakerspace <milwaukee...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I've made many of these using the transformers form discarded neon lights and brazing rods.  You need a glass or plastic tube to enclose it for safety.

In a message dated 1/19/2017 12:59:10 A.M. Central Standard Time, jame...@hotmail.com writes:

Been looking for one to make a Jacob's Ladder with, does that fit in?
Something quick/easy to get going and elaborate on later.

Maybe like this, but can even be more crude/hacked to start-

http://www.instructables.com/id/Low-Cost-Jacobs-Ladder-Made-From-A-Salvaged-Oil-T/

Tom Gralewicz

Jan 19, 2017, 4:18:13 PM1/19/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
:-)

The insulator on top had to be removed or it was too tall to fit under bridges.

Total weight is over 25,000 lb

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 2:25 PM, GRothe3646 via milwaukeemakerspace <milwaukeemakerspace@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I've made many of these using the transformers form discarded neon lights and brazing rods.  You need a glass or plastic tube to enclose it for safety.

In a message dated 1/19/2017 12:59:10 A.M. Central Standard Time, jame...@hotmail.com writes:

Been looking for one to make a Jacob's Ladder with, does that fit in?
Something quick/easy to get going and elaborate on later.

Maybe like this, but can even be more crude/hacked to start-

http://www.instructables.com/id/Low-Cost-Jacobs-Ladder-Made-From-A-Salvaged-Oil-T/

Andy Amrhein

Jan 19, 2017, 7:43:19 PM1/19/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Its a little big for me. Is it just a transmission/distribution transformer or was it special-purpose?

the_digital_dentist

Jan 19, 2017, 8:44:56 PM1/19/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
That will make GREAT Jacob's ladder!

Felisha Wild

Jan 20, 2017, 1:20:06 PM1/20/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
That would be perfect for some micro circuitry I've been working on. LOL