FORGE PEOPLE!!!

Jake Bissen

Feb 19, 2015, 8:51:03 PM2/19/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
WE MUST DO THIS!!!

so freaking COOL!!!

I'm hoping you can all view that. Its genius! and completely do-able.

"maybe" safer then an actually power hammer? I don't know but this is still awesome

Jake Bissen
- Resident noise maker

Dan Jonke

Feb 20, 2015, 12:16:58 AM2/20/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
wow, this is pretty simple yet effective, I don’t know if I’d call it safer, but he probably gets better control than a little giant style hammer.

-Dan
--

---

integritylawnlandscaping

Feb 20, 2015, 8:57:53 AM2/20/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I thought of doing something similar. This would be easier on the elbows!

ChrisH

Feb 20, 2015, 10:26:20 AM2/20/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Hmm. Pneumatic autohammer. I dig it. I could get behind helping with that project if you'd like. :D
I definitely wouldn't call it "safe", but...

Pete Prodoehl

Feb 20, 2015, 10:29:48 AM2/20/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Sometimes the opposite of "safe" is... AWESOME!!!

On 2/20/15 9:26 AM, ChrisH wrote:
> Hmm. Pneumatic autohammer. I dig it. I could get behind helping with
> that project if you'd like. :D
> I definitely wouldn't call it "safe", but...
>
> On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 11:16:58 PM UTC-6, dan wrote:
>
> wow, this is pretty simple yet effective, I don’t know if I’d call
> it safer, but he probably gets better control than a little giant
> style hammer.
> -Dan

ChrisH

Feb 20, 2015, 10:31:29 AM2/20/15

On 2/20/15 9:26 AM, ChrisH wrote:
> Hmm. Pneumatic autohammer. I dig it. I could get behind helping with
> that project if you'd like. :D
> I definitely wouldn't call it "safe", but...
>
> On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 11:16:58 PM UTC-6, dan wrote:
>
>     wow, this is pretty simple yet effective, I don’t know if I’d call
>     it safer, but he probably gets better control than a little giant
>     style hammer.
>     -Dan

ironmonger

Feb 20, 2015, 2:34:04 PM2/20/15
to MMS

Classic helve hammer. Here us but one:
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com/helve.html

paul

Bill

Feb 21, 2015, 5:41:34 PM2/21/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Datalink

Feb 25, 2015, 5:55:50 PM2/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I've seen ones with rotary shaft electric motors for fast short hammering motion. How It's Made is awesome, and it was the tool used by the armorsmith in the medieval armor reproduction. No cage, no sensors.

As for safe... safe is the operator's job when it comes to working an anvil, be it by hand or with a machine, you're still dealing with a ~20 lb. hunk of metal hitting a much larger hunk of metal with another hunk somewhere between. Though I would advise a safety zone where only the operator can enter and proper training, it's still going to have risks, they can only really be reduced by being aware of your environment when on it. Same can be said for a lot of shop hardware though.

I have projects I'd want to use that for and do agree that AWESOME is the correct description for that.

-W. Jason "Datalink" Ienatsch

Datalink

Feb 25, 2015, 6:01:30 PM2/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I realized I forgot the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ExjlaNGl4M
For reference.

Looks like that armorer's hammer is a cylindrical hammer head, bow of some spring steel, and a reciprocating drive.

- W. Jason "Datalink" Ienatsch