Electric mountainish bike

ironmonger

Jul 20, 2015, 4:13:21 PM7/20/15
to MMS

I am looking for motor recomdations for a 20 inch moutain bike conversion. Want to add a sidecar to a bike and use it for crusing swap meets.
Thinking about a brushed 350 watt motor. I know brushless is technically better but don't know if it's worth the difference. Will that hit 10 mph with gvw of 350 lbs. Do I need more? It doesn't need to be a drag racer...

Thanks
Paul

Custom Processing Unlimited

Jul 20, 2015, 5:43:23 PM7/20/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Get me more details and I'll see if I can help you out... will you be at the weekly meeting at Maker Space tomorrow?

--

---

ironmonger

Jul 20, 2015, 6:58:03 PM7/20/15
to MMS

I can be down around 8 or so. Does that work for you?

Custom Processing Unlimited

Jul 20, 2015, 7:33:49 PM7/20/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

8 works for me.

Brent Bublitz

Jul 21, 2015, 11:26:33 PM7/21/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
350 feels really week if you are looking to haul stuff besides a light bike and a person. I would aim closer to 750.

Custom Processing Unlimited

Jul 21, 2015, 11:44:19 PM7/21/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I chatted with him tonight and I don't think he's looking to haul too much outside of himself... but it is well possible that I might be missing a few details. I would like him to chime in to let us know if he is intending on actually installing anything in this device he's making.

Custom Processing Unlimited

Jul 21, 2015, 11:45:14 PM7/21/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I meant hauling, not installing.

ironmonger

Jul 22, 2015, 2:34:35 PM7/22/15
to MMS

Taking to heart all we discussed last night, I'm now looking at a 36 V 500 watt motor with a gear reduction output (400 rpm to an 11T sprocket) . With that motor I'll probably give up the pedal assist. Lots of motors to consider... given where it will be used, I'll select final gear ratio for a top speed of 12 to15 mph.

Custom Processing Unlimited

Jul 22, 2015, 3:19:52 PM7/22/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Great! If you need anymore help, let me know!