Replacing computer monitor- question for experts

the_digital_dentist

Dec 1, 2016, 8:03:00 AM12/1/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
My 8 year old, 26" 1960 x 1280 monitor died a couple days ago.  I've been looking at replacements, with preferably higher resolution and bigger screen for doing CAD.  I see a lot of them in the $300-800 range, and then I see things like this 43" 4K 120 Hz TV for $250:

Any reason I shouldn't get it?  I understand I'll probably need a better graphics card in the computer to handle the higher resolution and refresh rates.

John Rockefeller

Dec 1, 2016, 8:17:44 AM12/1/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Yes, gamer graphic card for sure and maybe a chair on wheels to roll from one side of the screen to the other.

--

---

Markus Schneider

Dec 1, 2016, 8:44:25 AM12/1/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

The problem with a TV is the response delay. Many TVs will start to display a received picture more than 40ms after receiving it. A computer monitor is often in the 2-20ms range.  Some TVs have a game mode that will reduce this slightly. I for one will tire more quickly using a TV, I don’t necessarily notice it immediately but something just bothers me and makes my movements more sluggish. The next issue is viewing distance you will want to sit further away. Then there is how even the lighting and how accurate the colors are. For a TV this isn’t that important for a computer monitor it can be factor when working with photos or graphics.

If you have a TV try it out, but I would never buy one for this purpose. For 250 you can get some decent monitors that don’t have the resolution but will make up for it with comfort and ergonomics.

There are sometimes some good monitor deals out there 350$ for a 27 inch ips 3840*2160 monitor

https://slickdeals.net/f/9384551-27-lg-27ud68-p-3840x2160-uhd-ips-led-monitor-349-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

the_digital_dentist

Feb 5, 2017, 8:20:31 PM2/5/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
I found a suitable monitor to replace the dead unit:  32", high resolution, and lots of great reviews.

The 26" monitor that died is now at the space and will be repaired.  I was able to open it at the space by using 8 screw drivers at once to pry the back cover off.  At least one 3kV cap cooked in the CCFL power supply, which turns out to be a common cause of failure in those monitors.  I will order the parts and replace all those caps and we'll have a decent monitor for CAD in the 3D printing area.

the_digital_dentist

Feb 7, 2017, 12:59:05 PM2/7/17
to milwaukeemakerspace
OK, new monitor has arrived.  Installed driver, connecting via DVI port to HD6770 graphics card (supposed to be capable of 2560 x 1600 see: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/6000/6770).

I have it running at the display's native 2560x1440 resolution, 60 hz refresh rate.  I am running Win 7 64 bit Pro

The problem is text looks like crap.  I tried adjusting text scaling and turning on and adjusting ClearType and still no joy.

The monitor works fine at 1920x1080.

Any ideas?  Is this a Win 7 problem?

Markus Schneider

Feb 7, 2017, 1:21:56 PM2/7/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Are you using a dual or single link cable? For 2560x1440 you need a dual link one (if you look at the connecter all pins should be there).

Feb 7, 2017, 1:28:35 PM2/7/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I had a similar problem when trying to use an LCD TV (1920x1080) as a computer monitor - text looked like garbage, so I played with the settings on the TV itself.  By default, I think the TV was trying to do some sort of sharpening on the image - once I got it into a different mode (the modes were things like 'TV', 'Theater', 'Night', etc.), everything was much better.

the_digital_dentist

Feb 7, 2017, 1:50:39 PM2/7/17
to milwaukeemakerspace, mar...@infinitywinepress.com
Brilliant!  That was it.  I was using my old single link DVI cable.  The monitor shipped with a dual link cable.  I swapped them and it works perfectly.
Thanks!