What Have You Been Hacking/Making [2018-05-14 edition]

remmin...@2xlnetworks.net

May 14, 2018, 9:55:04 AM5/14/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

This is a message from reMMinderbot.

Makers! It's time to share... what have you been hacking on or making?

been keeping you busy, either at the space or elsewhere. And, include
a photo if you can!

reMMinderbot thanks you!

Pete Prodoehl

May 14, 2018, 10:22:55 AM5/14/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I volunteered at the Madison Mini Maker Faire with Adrian and Felisha running the Design & Build Derby. It was a bit hectic with only a few people helping out, and sadly Milwaukee Makerspace did not have an official presence. (Kathy C. and Kyle were also there with their exhibit, and Akai was as well.)

I've been printing parts for the latest We the Builders sculpture and had some really weird print failures that were hard to track down. I finally figured it out (I think.) Prints kept failing at the same place, which made me think it was the file, not hardware, but my best guess is that there was an issue where there was some retraction going on which combined with heat creep (sort of) to cause the filament to corkscrew right above the hot end. The fix was to not put the cover on my printer enclosure. Taking it off allowed enough of a temperature drop for the print to work. I did swap to another roll of PLA and it worked fine, even with the enclosure in place, and I've printed tons of PLA with the cover in place with no issue. So maybe a combination of this roll and the warm chamber caused the failure? (The reason I usually close up the printer when using PLA is because I have a mischievous cat.)

I've also been working on a 400kV high voltage musical instrument for Bay View Gallery Night. (Though I'll be at Brinn Labs that night instead of MMS.)

Pete

kathy.hughett

May 14, 2018, 8:17:45 PM5/14/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I would like to see the pieces you've made lined up and/or assembled. I know that they won't look like much but it would be fun to see a few pieces together.

Pete Prodoehl

May 15, 2018, 10:55:16 AM5/15/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I'll have a bunch of parts at the meeting tonight!

Pete
--

---