Sashimono woodwork

Have Blue

Nov 13, 2015, 12:05:51 PM11/13/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Showed this to Shane T. last night, but figured some of the other
woodworkers would get a kick out of the program:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8vJ11cXLs4

Felisha Wild

Nov 13, 2015, 5:49:22 PM11/13/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Felisha

Chef Felisha Wild
Our Daily Salt, LLC
3519 West National Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53215
Wednesday - Saturday 10am - 6pm / Sunday 10am - 5pm
http://OurDailySalt.com
https://www.facebook.com/OurDailySalt
1-414-671-9453

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Have Blue <have...@airsoldier.com> wrote:
Showed this to Shane T. last night, but figured some of the other woodworkers would get a kick out of the program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8vJ11cXLs4

Have Blue

Nov 13, 2015, 8:52:08 PM11/13/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
A parting note on the topic - one thing that really struck me was the heavy use of planes when I would have just busted out the palm sander.  As it turns out, traditional Japanese woodwork apparently eschews the use of sandpaper, limiting the use of abrasives to certain plants, sharkskin, etc. only when absolutely necessary (note that amazing sheen at 21:50 in the video).

This is an interesting article along that line of thought:  http://www.spoon-tamago.com/2015/05/19/tokunaga-furniture-and-the-art-of-wood-working-without-sandpaper/

There are even kanna competitions to see who can plane the most delicate shaving:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Ad6tBdLbM

Fascinating stuff!

Vishal Rana

Nov 13, 2015, 9:10:53 PM11/13/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing! Japanese woodworking is absolutely fascinating. You may find this video interesting as well. They are making intricate veneer using planes!

Even the western woodworkers prefer to use cabinet scrapers versus sandpaper. It works a lot faster and leaves a much better finish. The scrapers are especially preferred for wild grain where sandpaper can leave gashes or what not.

I made a couple of wooden planes once to try to achieve this level of accuracy. But it was still push style (Japanese woodworkers pull) and the blade wasn't integrated into the body, so it didn't quiet achieve the same effect. Maybe some day...

I just realized that I am meeting a friend from Japan in a couple of days and she asked me if I wanted anything from there. I couldn't think of anything at the time - I totally should have asked for freaking plane!!!

Vishal

Have Blue

Nov 13, 2015, 10:19:34 PM11/13/15
On 11/13/2015 8:10 PM, Vishal Rana wrote:
Thanks for sharing! Japanese woodworking is absolutely fascinating. You may find this video interesting as well. They are making intricate veneer using planes!
That's freakin' amazing!  Just like mosaic damascus, but in wood!  What is used for an adhesive?  Does it damage the blade?  Great, now I'll be up all night googling "Yosegi Zaiku"...  Thanks a lot.  [grumble]

Even the western woodworkers prefer to use cabinet scrapers versus sandpaper. It works a lot faster and leaves a much better finish. The scrapers are especially preferred for wild grain where sandpaper can leave gashes or what not.
I've certainly heard of cabinet scrapers before, but I never realized how different they act from sandpaper at the grainular level. (get it?  grainular?  granular?  eh?  eh?  eh.)
I just realized that I am meeting a friend from Japan in a couple of days and she asked me if I wanted anything from there. I couldn't think of anything at the time - I totally should have asked for freaking plane!!!
I would have asked for a katana blade (or Ghost in the Shell and/or Cowboy Bebop swag), but after learning that a well crafted blade (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6SMRaKMtFY) will run close to $20k, I guess I'd settle for a half-eaten box of Pocky.

the_digital_dentist

Nov 14, 2015, 7:13:32 AM11/14/15
to milwaukeemakerspace
When I lived in Japan about 20 years ago I was told it was illegal for Japanese to sell Japanese swords to foreigners, it was illegal for foreigners to own/possess Japanese swords, and when you went into hotels there were signs on the door in every room that said it was against hotel rules to have swords in your room and that you should check your swords at the front desk for safe keeping.

Have Blue

Nov 15, 2015, 2:05:22 PM11/15/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
That may have been an oversimplification or misunderstanding of the law - the Begin Japanology episode on Japanese swords had a segment with a dealer, who noted that many of their swords are purchased by American and European clients.  So I did some digging so see how that was done...

All swords need to be registered, and the correct cultural authorities notified if a sword changes ownership.  Exporting a sword requires submitting the sword's registration, and if approved, an export permit is given for the sword (export has to take place within 30 days).  Foreigners can certainly purchase a sword, even cash-and-carry (they just have to notify the local prefecture of the change in ownership).

There are, however, a small number (around 1000) of blades deemed to be of significant cultural importance - while foreigners can own them, they can never be exported out of the country.

http://www.jssus.org/nkp/japanese_sword_laws.html
http://new.uniquejapan.com/5-easy-steps-to-owning-an-authentic-japanese-samurai-sword/

On 11/14/2015 6:13 AM, the_digital_dentist wrote:
When I lived in Japan about 20 years ago I was told it was illegal for Japanese to sell Japanese swords to foreigners, it was illegal for foreigners to own/possess Japanese swords, and when you went into hotels there were signs on the door in every room that said it was against hotel rules to have swords in your room and that you should check your swords at the front desk for safe keeping.

ironmonger

Nov 15, 2015, 3:27:22 PM11/15/15
to MMS

For a domestic sword of superior quality see:
http://www.mvforge.com/
I saw him forge blades 25 years ago. He has done nothing but get better with the passage of time. Still lives and works near Runnells IA

Have Blue

Nov 16, 2015, 12:07:35 AM11/16/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Neat!  I think a sword blade will have to remain on the "when I win the lottery" list of acquisitions, though.  Love seeing what smiths are capable of, and the varying temper lines have interested me as of late.