question for lathe experts

ma...@neesley.com

Feb 25, 2015, 9:12:03 AM2/25/15
to Makerspace
I need to know if the following is possible on the red lathe:  Start with a 2.75" long pipe of cast plastic resin that is approx. 1.5" O.D./1.0" I.D. and slightly enlarge that I.D. to around 1.2" on the lathe?
-MattN

James

Feb 25, 2015, 1:16:27 PM2/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I would think it doable, unless you need a very close tolerance.  It's kind of long for a 1" to 1.2" bore, but using the largest bar that will fit should do it.
Light cuts and you can't chuck very tight (fairly thin wall).  If you do get chatter problems that won't settle down trying to bore the whole lengrh you could do half, then flip and and bore the other half.  Assuming a match mark isn't an issue.  If you do that, you can minimize the match mark by marking where each jaw was clamped so you clamp in the same place when you flip it.
I'm thinking in terms of plain PVC type plastic.  I'm not sure how esoteric this cast plastic resin you have is.

From: ma...@neesley.com
To: milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [MakerSpace] question for lathe experts
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 07:11:58 -0700

--

---

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Feb 25, 2015, 6:59:29 PM2/25/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
To eliminate the squeeze from the chuck jaws, consider starting with a slightly longer tube (.75" - 1.0") and pressing in a 1" O.D. disk about .75" thick.  Then clamp on the reinforced area.  When the bore is complete, cut off the correct length in the lathe with a cutoff tool.

Bill**2

wwill...@wi.rr.com

Feb 28, 2015, 9:08:58 AM2/28/15
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Matt;

   When you have the pipe and dimensions, bring them to the machine area.  One of us can show you how to do the machining, or do it for you

Bill**2