Question for lathe operators

the_digital_dentist

Mar 15, 2018, 10:39:25 AM3/15/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Is there an easy way to turn a pair of identical symmetrically crowned pulleys about 3" wide and about 1-1.5" in diameter out of teflon and aluminum?  The crown is small- about 1/16" smaller diameter at the ends of the pulley than at the center.

These barrel shape would be used to keep the rubber belt centered on the pulleys in a Van de Graaff generator.

I am currently 3D printing the pulleys then covering them with metal tape and teflon tape.  The metal tape works OK, but the teflon tape gets torn up after a while.

Sean Derby

Mar 15, 2018, 12:38:13 PM3/15/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Just curious... it sounds like you would still be using telfon tape with the machined aluminums drums

Subject: [MakerSpace] Question for lathe operators
To: "milwaukeemakerspace" <milwaukee...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 8:39 AM
--

---

Google Groups "milwaukeemakerspace" group.

from it, send an email to milwaukeemakers...@googlegroups.com.

Have Blue

Mar 15, 2018, 12:53:58 PM3/15/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I'd be inclined to stick a mandrel in the Tormach spindle that the raw pulleys can be secured to, then clamp a HSS lathe tool about 6 inches up off the bed.  Coming up with a simple Gcode program to jog the Z and X axes as appropriate should be reasonably straightforward.

Tom Klein

Mar 15, 2018, 1:55:50 PM3/15/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Marcus has a turntable with a lathe tool that mounts on the southbend lathe, tom k

---

the_digital_dentist

Mar 15, 2018, 1:56:21 PM3/15/18
to milwaukeemakerspace

the_digital_dentist

Mar 15, 2018, 2:28:42 PM3/15/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
The idea was to make a solid aluminum pulley and a solid teflon pulley.  Right now I use aluminum tape on one printed pulley and plumber's tape on the other.  The aluminum tape is OK, but the teflon tape tends to get torn up after a while.  The printed ABS or even PLA work, too, but they are not as high on the triboelectric series and teflon, so they don't generate as much current.

The tape I found on ebay has a teflon coating on a fiberglass base with adhesive.  I think it will probably hold up just fine.  We'll see.

Sean Derby

Mar 15, 2018, 3:13:02 PM3/15/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Very cool... make away!!